A PRESENTATION ON SUMMER
TRAINING AT – NTPC DADRI
PRESENTED BY- RICHA KHATRI
EN- 4TH YEAR
• NTPC , the largest power Company in India, was setup in 1975 to
accelerate power development in the country.
• NTPC has installed capacity of 29,394 MW.
• It has 15 coal based power stations (23,395 MW).
• 7 gas based power stations (3,955 MW).
• 4 power stations in Joint Ventures (1,794 MW).
• Today NTPC contributes more than 3 / 5th of the total power
generation in India.
ABOUT NTPC DADRI
• It has energy generating capacity by –
-coal based thermal plant is 1820 MW .
-gas based thermal plant is 817 MW.
• It has 6 units of coal based thermal plant .
-4 units are of 210 MW & 2 units are of 490 MW
• It has 6 units of gas based thermal plant .
-4 units are of 130 MW & 2 units are of 154 MW
• Grand Total capacity is 2637 MW.
• COAL SOURCE
- Piparwara mines , Jharkhand
• WATER SOURCE
- Upper Ganga Canal, Mat Branch
• GAS SOURCE
- HBJ Pipe line
• The coal is brought and crushed to powder. This is feed to boiler for producing
• In Boiler the water is converted to steam.
• In super heater the moisture content is removed from the steam and that steam is
called super heated steam.
• The superheated steam rotates the shaft of the High pressure turbine.
• The exhausted steam is sent to preheater and the steam then rotates the
intermediate pressure (IP) turbine.
• The steam from the IP Turbine is then feed to low pressure turbine.
• The turbine shaft is connected to the Generator, which produceselectric Power.
• The power generated is then transmitted .
MAIN AND AUXILIARY EQUIPMENT
• Coal handling plant
• Pulverizing plant
• Ash handling plant
• Cooling tower and pounds
• Feed water heater
• Superheater and Reheater
• Air preheater
COAL HANDLING PLANT
Raw coal wagon – Coal is brought to the site through a wagon
as per the requirement.
Wagon tippler – The coal is unloaded from the wagon and is
transported to crusher and for storage place through
Junction tower - JTs are used where the conveyor has any
Primary crusher – The raw coal is crushed into fine pieces of
45mm grit. Primary crusher is also called Rotatory breaker
since the coal is crushed by rotating plate.
The stone and
unwanted coal are
Secondary crusher – The fine pieces of coal is
crushed into powder . (25 mm grit).
Mill Bunker – The 25 mm grit coal is crushed
into very fine powder for feeding the boiler .
We will have a spare bunker for each boiler.
Stack & Reclaimer – It
is used to store the
powdered coal for
In modern thermal power plant, coal is
pulverized i.e. ground to dust like size and
carried to the furnace in a stream of hot air.
Pulverizing is a means of exposing a large
surface area to the action of oxygen and
consequently helping combustion .
• A boiler or steam generator is a
closed vessel to which water
under pressure, is converted
• It is one of the major
components of a thermal power
• Always designed to absorb
maximum amount of heat
released in the process of
• A device which moves last traces of moisture.
• It helps in reduction in requirement of steam
• Steam being dry reduces the mechanical
resistance of turbine.
• No corrosion at the Turbine blades.
ECONOMISER AND AIR PRE-HEATER
• They are such devices which recover the heat from the flue
gases on their way to chimney and raise the temperature of
• Economiser raises boiler efficiency.
• Air Pre-heaters recover the heat from the flue gases
leaving the economiser and heat the incoming air
required for combustion.
• Which condenses the steam at the exhaust of turbine.
• It creates a very low pressure at the exhaust of turbine,
this helps in converting heat energy of steam into
mechanical energy in the prime mover.
• The condensed steam can be used as feed water to the
PRIME MOVER (TURBINE)
• A steam turbine is a mechanical device that extracts thermal energy
from pressurized steam, and converts it into mechanical energy.
• About 86% of all electric generation in the world is by use of steam
• It has almost completely replaced the reciprocating piston steam
• In a thermal power plant generally 3 turbines are used to increase
• High Pressure Turbine(HPT): The superheated steam is directly fed
to this turbine to rotate it.
• Intermediate Pressure Turbine (IPT) : The output from the HPT is
reheated in a reheater and used to rotate IPT.
• Low Pressure Turbine (LPT) : The Exhausted steam from the IPT is
directly fed to rotate the shaft of LPT
• All the turbines are connected to a single shaft which is connected to
• The Synchronus Generator is used to generate power by
connecting the shaft of the Turbine to the shaft of the
generator which create the magnetic flux producing Emf.
• The generated voltage will generally 33 KV to 11 KV max.
• the generated Voltage is stepped up by connecting Step
up transformer and is also used for auxilliary purpose.
• Remove heat from the water
discharged from the condenser so
that the water can be discharged
to the river or re circulated and
• Air can be circulated in the
cooling towers through natural
draft and mechanical draft.
A switchyard is a part of an electrical generation, transmission
system. Switchyard transform voltage from high to low’ or the
reverse, or perform any of several other important functions.
• BUS BAR
• LIGHTENING ARRESTER
• CAPACITIVE VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER
• EARTHING ROD
• CURRENT TRANSFORMER
• POTENTIAL TRANSFORMER
• CONTROL PANNEL
• CIRCUIT BREAKERS
Types of cooling
Types of cooling
1. Oil Natural Air Natural (ONAN)
oil and air flows naturally.
2. Oil Natural Air Forced (ONAF)
As natural air is not so efficient to
cool down the oil and bring it to safe
So air is forced on the radiating fins
with help of fans installed below the
3. Oil Forced Air forced (OFAF)
With further increase in load, more
heat is generated which necessitates
forced cooling of oil.
Cooling of Transformer
• The oil helps cool the
• To improve cooling of large
power transformers, the oil-filled
tank may have radiators through
which the oil circulates by
• Very large or high-power
transformers may have cooling
• oil pumps and even oil-to-water
• Large and high-voltage
transformers undergo prolonged
drying processes, using electrical
UTILISATION OF SECONDARY RAW
• Construction of embankments and fills.
• Construction of road in sub-base.
• Manufacture of cement.
• Manufacture of bricks/blocks.
• Agriculture as soil amendment/source of essential plant