1. Introduction to Lego
History and Development
Technological Advancements with Lego
2. INTRODUCTION TO LEGO
• Lego[a] is a popular line of construction toys manufactured by The
Lego Group, a privately held company based in Billund, Denmark.
• The company's flagship product, Lego, consists of
colourful interlocking plastic bricks and an accompanying array of
gears, minifigures and various other parts.
• Lego bricks can be assembled and connected in many ways, to
construct such objects as vehicles, buildings, and even working
• Anything constructed can then be taken apart again, and the pieces
used to make other objects. Lego began manufacturing interlocking
toy bricks in 1949.
• Since then a global Lego subculture has developed, supporting
movies, games, competitions, and six themed amusement parks.
3. HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT
• The Lego Group began in the workshop of Ole Kirk Christiansen (born 7
April 1891), a carpenter from Billund, Denmark, who began making
wooden toys in 1932.In 1934, his company came to be called "Lego", from
the Danish phrase leg godt, which means "play well".
• It expanded to producing plastic toys in 1947.
• In 1949 Lego began producing, among other new products "Automatic
Binding Bricks". These bricks were based in part on the Kiddicraft Self-
Locking Bricks, which were patented in the United Kingdom in 1939 and
then there released in 1947.
• Lego modified the design of the Kiddicraft brick after examining a
sample given to it by the British supplier of an injection-
molding machine that the company had purchased.
• The bricks, originally manufactured from cellulose acetate.
4. 1960s – 21st century
Since the 1960s, the Lego Group has released thousands of sets with a
variety of themes, including town and
city, space, robots, pirates, trains,Vikings, castle, dinosaurs, undersea
exploration, and wild west.
In 1978, Lego produced the first mini figures, which have since become a
staple in most sets
Even used in the sets of Star wars, Indiana Jones andToy Story making it
In May 2011, Space Shuttle Endeavour mission STS-134 brought 13 Lego kits to
the International Space Station, where astronauts will build models and see how they
react in microgravity, as part of the Lego Bricks in Space program. The results will be
shared with schools as part of an educational project
• Lego pieces of all varieties constitute a universal system. Despite
variation in the design and purpose of individual pieces over the
years, each remains compatible in some way with existing pieces.
• Each Lego piece must be manufactured to an exacting degree of
precision.When two pieces are engaged they must fit firmly, yet be
easily disassembled.The machines that make Lego bricks have
tolerances as small as 10 micrometres
• As of September 2008 the design teams use 3D modelling software
to generate CAD drawings from initial design sketches.The designs
are then prototyped using an in-house stereolithography machine.
• Since 1963, Lego pieces have been manufactured from a
strong, resilient plastic known as acrylonitrile butadiene
• As of September 2008, the engineers use
the NX CAD/CAM/CAE PLM software suite to model the elements.
The software allows the parts to be optimised by way of mould flow
and stress analysis.
• Manufacturing of Lego bricks occurs at a number of locations around the
world. Moulding is done in Billund, Denmark; Nyíregyháza, Hungary;
7. TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS WITH LEGO
Lego initiated a robotics line of toys called 'Mindstorms' in 1998, and has
continued to expand and update this range ever since.
There are several robotics competitions which use the Lego robotics sets.
The earliest is Botball, a national U.S. middle- and high-school competition
stemming from the MIT 6.270 Lego robotics tournament.
Merlin Entertainments operates six Legoland amusement parks, the original
in Billund, Denmark, the second in Windsor, England, the third inGünzburg,
Germany, the fourth in Carlsbad, California, the fifth in Winter Haven, Florida,
and the sixth in Nusajaya, Malaysia
8. It started with these models :
9. Now the models have turned out to be
10. And This :
11. THE VIDEO LINK FOR LEGO STRANDBEEST: