2. Problem• What’s Left? New Left? New
New Left? Confusing!
• What is meant
• What is the
4. Objective• To describe what
• To describe the
different kinds of
7. The New New Left
• Steven Malanga (2005) coined the term
New New Left pejoratively. The New
New Left is composed of “public-sector
employee unions” & “grassroots social
service groups in the 1960s [which]
created a new type of neighborhood
"political club," sustained by and
organized around public funding.”
8. The New New Left
• “A new dynamic has sprung up in
American politics today: the
contest between those who benefit
from an ever-expanding public
sector and those who pay for this
bigger government—in other
words, it’s the tax eaters vs. the
9. Critical Reflection
10. Fair Use• In good faith, this work contains fair use of copyrighted
and non-copyrighted images from the public domain & the
web for non-commercial & nonprofit educational purposes.
• This work is distributed free of charge.
• The author has neither monetized this work nor sought any
profit from its distribution.
• Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright
Act 1976: Allowance is made for fair use for purposes such
as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching,
scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by
copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-
profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor
of fair use.
• This work contains original work of commentary and
• Quotations are attributed to the original authors and