Facts: Mark doesn’t deal with the birth of Jesus and dives right into his ministry.
Good news: God sent his son Jesus into the world for the sins to humankind.
Colossians 2:9 (NIV), “9For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,”John 1:14 (NIV), “14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
What is a forerunner? Actions of the forerunner: he would be ahead of the actual runner; he would prepare the way; he would be a heralding voice;
Recognize: you have to take notice that there is sin in your life and that something must be done about it. See Romans 3:10; 23Romans 3:10 (NIV), “10As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; “Romans 3:23 (NIV), “23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” Admission: once you recognize sin in your life, you have to fess up that you are the culprit. We can’t put out sin off on someone else (like Adam and Eve did in the garden)
Sorrow: not sorry that we got caught or sorrow that our sin has caused us discomfort but upset and disappointment because our sins have “hurt” God. All sin is an affront to God first! Psalm 51:4 (NIV), “4Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge.” Turn: repentance is complete when we turn away from the wrong direction we were traveling to follow God’s direction.
Serious: v.6. Because of his seriousness, he had a great response in v. 5.
1. The Gospel Of St Mark – Part 1<br />Life Enrichment University<br />St Mark Missionary Baptist Church<br />Session 01<br />Ps Darryl M. Matthews, Instructor<br />
2. Introduction<br />The Gospel of<br />St Mark – Part 1<br />
3. Introduction To St Mark<br />Covering The Book In Two Parts<br />Part 1 – Chapters 1 – 8<br />Part 2 – Chapters 9-16<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
4. Importance Of Mark’s Gospel<br />Mark’s “Just The Facts Ma’am” approach<br />Earliest of the gospels written<br />Written in or around Rome with those citizens in mind. <br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
5. Why Mark Wrote This Book (1:1)<br />What was this book to be about according to Mark 1:1?<br />Gospel = “good news”<br />What was the good news?<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
6. Why Mark Wrote This Book (1:1)<br />Jesus was more than just man<br />Colossians 2:9<br />John 1:14<br />The Bible Teaches That Jesus was God.<br />Isaiah 7:14 – Foretells Jesus coming<br />Matthew 1:21 – Fulfillment of OT Prophecy<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
7. John The Baptist (1:2-8)<br />John The Baptist was the forerunner of Jesus<br />According to Isaiah 40:3 & Mark 1:2-3, what were some of the things the forerunner was to do?<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
8. John The Baptist (1:2-8)<br />How did John the Baptist prepare the way for Jesus?<br />He preached a two point message:<br />Repentance for the forgiveness of sins<br />The coming of the Messiah, i.e., Jesus Christ<br />He baptized those who responded to his two point message<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
9. Meaning Of Repentance (1:4)<br />What does it mean to repent? <br />First, recognition of sin in one’s life (see Romans 3:10, 23)<br />Second, admission of sin on the part of the sinner<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
10. Meaning Of Repentance (1:4)<br />What does it mean to repent? <br />Third, we must express sorrow for our sin (see Psalms 51:4)<br />Fourth, we must be willing to turn away from our sin to follow God’s direction<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
11. Confession Before Baptism (1:5-6)<br />Once sins were repented, John baptized people. <br />We baptize people after what action?<br />Note the symbolism of baptism in Romans 6:3-4<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
12. Confession Before Baptism<br />Romans 6:3-4<br />Death & burial when placed under the water.<br />Raising up into the newness of life in Christ.<br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
13. Foretelling Of Jesus’ Coming (1:7-8)<br />John was serious about his ministry<br />John knew what His ministry ultimately was about: Jesus’ coming<br />How was Jesus baptism to be different than John’s? <br />Gospel of St Mark Pt 1 – Lesson 01<br />
14. Next Week – Lesson 02<br />The Preparation For Jesus’ Public Ministry(Mark 1:9-20)<br />