1. @resmini & @lucarosatipervasive iafor the sentient citycross-channel ux in urban environments Photo: Andrea Alessandretti, Flickr
3. cities are emergent systems
4. civilization as we know it is largely a byproduct
5. 50% of world population lives in cities 50% + of people live in cities and % is growing up
6. an etcetera citya list-city rather than a form-citya rhizome Photo: Kirk Crowford, Flickr
7. some cities are different Photo: Abhijeet Rane, Flickr
8. but we often get lost because of bad ux Photo: Ever Falling, Flickr
9. does IA or pervasive IA have anything to do with this?
10. from physical structure to information flow A week on 4square, WSJ
11. “a city processes informationrather than moving it around” Photo: Senseable City Lab, MIT
12. “a city works less like a computerand more like the human brain” Photo: Blue brain project
13. resilience is the capability of a systemto adapt itself to different goals andseeking strategies Photo:Joana Petrova, Flickr
14. information seeking strategies
15. principle of least effort
16. resilience as personal paths
19. top-downTP TP pervasive information layer TP TP bottom-up
20. for zombies
21. or zombie run!
22. the best of both worlds
24. 50% expected increase in personal travel in theGothenburg region in 2005-2025Transport-related CO2 emissions should decrease by 4%in 2010 and by 75% in 2050 in respect to 1990Public transport travel should increase from 24% to35% in 2020
25. impacting collective transportation behavior is a complex task with a multitude of factors weighing in
26. better roads
27. better services
28. better information
29. better … mh?
30. these are not just different user types who havea range of well-delimited needs: these are usertypes whose needs change through time, in theshort and in the long period, and are shaped in accordance with the place they currently are
31. or is it a “better system”?
32. a seamless experience
33. co-modal traveling
35. a complex system with many channels
36. “In my opportunistic cluster model,the bus stop I am standing in front of *is* the app. I open my phone and Im looking at what *this* bus stop has to offer”
37. top-downTP TP pervasive information layer TP TP bottom-up
38. Photo by kcryder, Flickr “places are used as wax. places are the site of a mnemonic palimpsest” thank you