In telecommunictions rating is the activity of determining the cost of a particular call. The rating process involves converting call-related data into a monetary-equivalent value. Generally individual calls are rated and then the rated amounts are sent to a billing system such as the ebillz billing platform to provide a bill to the subscriber. Often the rating system will be a module of a larger &quot;Billing System&quot; architecture. A legacy system is an old method, technology, computer system, or application program that continues to be used, typically because it still functions for the users&apos; needs, even though newer technology or more efficient methods of performing a task are now available. A legacy system may include procedures or terminology which are no longer relevant in the current context, and may hinder or confuse understanding of the methods or technologies used.
The issuance of another GSM license in Bulgaria meant that Mobil Tel would have faced competition within in a few months. The company identified that in order to attract and retain subscribers in what was rapidly becoming a competitive and dynamic environment, they would need to streamline and enhance its billing and customer care operations. It was decided to replace the existing EPPIX system with a solution that would cost effectively support the ever growing demand for improved customer service, accurate billing and rating, increased revenue assurance and the reduction of the risk of possible churn.
The documentation typically describes what is needed by the system user as well as requested properties of inputs and outputs (e.g. of the software system). The FS stage resulted in a 200-page report of procedures and manpower resources required to install the new system, providing a complete, system-specific blueprint and roadmap to a successful installation.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
• Located in Sofia Bulgaria(Europe).
• MobiTel is the first and leading GSM operator
in Bulgaria which provide wireless coverage
MAJOR PROBLEM FACED BY MOBITEL
• Since 1994 MobiTel was growing leaps and
• Bulgarian Government licensed another GSM
• Adaptation of aggressive expansion strategy to
sustain its leadership
How Mobi Tel dealt with the problem?
• Aimed to increase its current subscriber base from 9lacs by
providing its customer a wide range of VAS
• Present rating and billing system took 12-18 hours to complete
a billing cycle
• Bills were generated four times a month so unable to exercise
detail analysis of customer usage
• The legacy system was incompatible with in-house developed
• The system had only English interface but no Bulgarian
• Several disparate system which needs to be separately updated
in order to effect a single new service
Requirements of MobiTel
MobilTel wanted to install a billing and CRM system that would
allow them to:
• Interface with over 10 legacy systems
• Provision new services quickly and easily
• Offer a comprehensive contact management and centralized
department for complain resolution
• Complete billing cycles efficiently
• Allow CSRs in over 120 business centers around Bulgaria to register
• View and work in either Bulgarian or English
• Provide up-to-the-minute information about each subscribers
current charge status
• Leave the system fully open for eventual integration .
• The vendor chosen to install the billing and CRM system
should provide training for the MobilTel employees involved
in its day-to-day use
• The existing Management Information System (MIS) structure of the
• The preferred architecture, operation and functionality of the future
billing and CRM system
• The most effective method of migrating data and processes, including
interfaces to external legacy systems, into a future system to cause
minimum disruption and negative revenue impact to the operator.
FS stage came out with a blue print and roadmap
The implementation of the Leap Plus Billing and Customer
Relationship Management (CRM) solutions which enabled MobiTel
• to drastically reduce their bill production cycle to less than one hour.
• migrated all customer data to a single database
• integrated the new system with a significant number of
• enabled rapid introduction of new service packages, discounts, and
pricing plans for MobilTel's customers.
• Provide the CSRs with on line subscriber and service related
• Provide an in depth analysis of customer behavior
• to maximize all customer contacts by turning every contact into a
• to formulate sales and marketing strategies, all of which proved vital
in the new Bulgarian Mobile Market
• The MobiTel’s subscriber base grew from 900,000 to 1,700,000
during the course of the actual implementation
• MobilTel became responsive and proactive to its subscriber base
1] Retrieved Nov 10,2010 ,from http://www.fts-oft.com/category/mobitel-
2] Retrieved Nov 10,2010 ,from http://www.fts-oft.com/category/fts-