• When creating a database backend, why not opening
it up for others to add / edit data?
• If others provide data, why not help them to retrieve
and access the data?
• Wikipedia as a model, but maps central & multi-lingual
• Map embeddable by other websites
• Open JSON API, Pelagios RDF, downloads
Users can add:
• Markers (since February 2012)
• Images (since May 2013)
• KML line tracings (March 2014)
.. but no real community supporting features as of
• 200 activated user accounts
• 68 users added markers
• 6073 markers added by users
• 90% of all markers were added by 9 users.
• How to attract users beyond NL, DE and BE?
• What did the 132 users that only registered expect?
• Populating the map ’enough’ appears to have been
essential in engaging users
• Will an investment in community features pay off?
• Stuck in the middle between science and
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.