A social networking service is a
platform to build social
networks or social relations
among people for example,
share interests, activities,
backgrounds, or real-life
connections. A social network
service consists of a
representation of each user
(often a profile), his/her social
links, and a variety of
Why internet is popular
mean for social networking
• The Internet is powerful because it
bridges distance at a low cost
• When people first meet online they tend
to “like” each other more
• Less stressful than face-to-face meeting
-Yahoo! Pulse …
Mobile Social Networks
Mobile social networks like
-Windows Live Space
• Facebook claims that 50% of active users log into
the site each day. This would mean at least 175
million users every 24 hours
• Twitter now has 75 million user accounts but only
around 15 million are active users on a regular
• LinkedIn has over 50 million members worldwide.
• Flickr now hosts more than 4 billion images Etc…
- Direct communication.
- Low costs.
- Meet celebrities.
- Be informed about your friends
- Create awarness and engage
- Building new/ old friendships.
- Sharing interests and hobbies.
• Opens up the possibility for hackers
• Fraud and launch spam
• Virus attacks.
• Increases the risk of people falling
prey to online
SAFETY ON SOCIAL
• Make your contact information private.
• Be careful about who can see your status
• Be cautious about messages you receive on
social networking sites that contain links .
• Maintain a good reputation
• Once posted, always posted
How social media should be
-Don’t be addicted.
-Think twice before sharing your
-Respect the privacy others.