1. Project Management Manchester United Soccer Club GROUP – D BY Keshani Malindi Chanaka Reeza Fazily
2. Overview of the Case <ul><li>Nicolette Larson is the tournament director of the Manchester United Soccer Club </li></ul><ul><li>She was responsible for organizing the club's first summer tournament </li></ul><ul><li>Case study is all about the discussion which happened during the first tournament committee meeting </li></ul>
3. Q1: Develop a draft of the work breakdown structure for the tournament that contains at least three levels of detail. What are the major deliverables associated with hosting an event such as a soccer tournament?
4. Soccer Tournament Looking for Sponsors Establish a filed Selecting referees, an artist and teams Collect Cash from sponsors and teams Tournament T-Shirts and Sweatshirts Tournament Equipment Finalize Tournament rules and regulations Finalize Tournament schedule Contact with possible sponsors in Local Corporation Conducting Presentation s Finalize with agreed sponsors Contact Local Colleges to search fields Selecting one suitable field Finalizing the entry fee for a team and payment per referee and artist Advertising to apply as a referee and as a team Selecting qualified referees and screening teams. And recruiting an artists Design an art and adding the MUSC logo and sponsors’ logo Print T-shits Purchase soccer balls Purchase Medals Finalizing match schedule Finalizing tournament day and advertising the tournament schedule and times Tournament day and winner ceremony 1 st Level 2 nd Level 3 rd Level
5. <ul><li>Major Deliverables </li></ul><ul><li>Fund Raising </li></ul><ul><li>Finalizing the venue of the tournament and logistics </li></ul><ul><li>Team screening </li></ul><ul><li>Finalizing the rewarding winning teams </li></ul>
6. Q2: How would developing a WBS alleviate some of the problems that occurred during the first meeting and help Nicolette organize and plan the project?
7. <ul><li>This is the club’s first summer tournament handled by Nicolette, where WBS would facilitate the evaluation of cost estimation, scheduling and resource allocation on the project. </li></ul><ul><li>Members discussed how to screen teams, entry fee they should charge and also the need of quickly contacting colleges to use their fields. These can be some main important tasks where WBS enables her in sequencing of tasks and priorities. </li></ul><ul><li>There was a discussion on injustice in the soccer field and whether to reward winning teams with medals or trophies. These can be important quality issues which Nicolette can track down and find solutions by using a WBS. </li></ul>
8. <ul><li>Nicolette can solve the issues using WBS since it helps in developing the OBS, which assigns project responsibilities to appropriate skilled individuals or groups. </li></ul><ul><li>Effective communication channels will be defined through WBS and will assist in coordinating the tasks. </li></ul><ul><li>A well-developed WBS can be archived and reused for future projects, which will save time and reduce current problems, the next time they organize a tournament. </li></ul>
9. Q3: Where can Nicolette find additional information to help her develop a WBS for the tournament?
12. Q4: How could Nicolette and her task force use the WBS to generate cost estimates for the tournament? Why would this be useful information?
13. How could Nicolette and her task force use the WBS to generate cost estimates for the tournament? <ul><li>Each task needs to be divided into sub-tasks until the team ends up with deliverables that are small enough to estimate the costs quite accurately. </li></ul><ul><li>The team should cluster functional groups of work to form cost accounts within a WBS element. </li></ul><ul><li>The cost account managers will be in charge for a functional unit’s contribution to a WBS element. </li></ul><ul><li>Internal departments planning for a cost account will consist of individual work packages, a work package will normally have its own budget. </li></ul>
14. Why would this be useful information? <ul><li>Although it is a difficult to create, it is a quite accurate technique that allows the team to monitor the actual cost of a project against an estimation. </li></ul><ul><li>It will reveal and sum up various costs ranging from labour fees, purchasing costs and direct charges for each deliverable that needs to be considered during the cost estimation for the project. </li></ul><ul><li>It provides the team a broad view of the deliverables and its costs that need to be undertaken for the success of the project. </li></ul>