Regional Development Plan
Prepared By the Town and Country Planning Organization,
Government of India
The plan was designed to make the maximum
contribution to the socio economic development
of the Cuttack-Bhubaneswar-Puri Region.
•Area- 3810 sq.km
•Population- 2.57 million
•Population density- 676 persons per sq.km as compared
to 203 persons per sq.km of the state, it remains the most densly
populated part of the state
•Average annual rainfall-1488 mm
•The region consists of 14 community development blocks from
•Three districts of Cuttack, Khoda and Puri in the eastern part of Orissa.
•The region is a part of the Mahanadi delta, and is a riverine plain.
•Agriculture is the most important sector of the regional economy and
is the mainstay of the people.
•Cuttack with its industrial suburbs Chowdhar and Jagatpur,is the primary
About The Region
1. Natural endowments and rich historical past
2. Location of the state capital within the region; first Cuttack
and then Bhubaneswar.
3. Development of infrastructure, housing and institution in
the capital cities
4. Well developed inter and intra regional transport and
5. High literacy and skilled manpower
6. Emergence of national and state level political leadership
from the area
Factors which played an important role
in shaping of the region
The aim of the plan is to :
TO DEFINE APPROPRIATE PATH FOR REGIONAL
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF CUTTACK
AND BHUBANESWAR CITIES
SPECIALIZATION OF ECONOMIC ROLES, FOCUS
ON SMALL AND MEDIUM SIZED TOWN
INTEGRATION WITH NEIGHBORING REGIONS.
Economic development at high rate to support the growth
of the region.
Evolution of spatial activites in the region, conducive to
pace,process and style of the development.
To become the largest urban region of Orissa, helping
Cuttack and Bhubaneswar in the task of creating state’s
wealth and accelerating progress towards achieving a
balanced and harmoniously developed region.
1) urban development outside the valuable
agricultural land areas..
2) Creation of manpower base to serve economic
3) Stable rural and urban settlement
1) Economically sound agriculture
2) Industrialization and tourism to create jobs.
3) Expanding economic base.
4) Rapid establisment of of a self generating urban
industrial economy that will contribute to regional
1) Creation of a healthy workspace
2) Provision of opportunity for the attainment of
modern jobs skills.
3) Increase in standard of family health.
4) provision of good access to maternity and child
1) Conservation of natural resources for future
2) Improvement of environment for residences.
3) Protection of land, water, air and the population