1. ADVERBS MODIFYING
DETERMINERS, NUMERALS AND
2. • Adverbs such as almost, nearly, hardly, about,
etc., can be used in the following ways:
• Almost everybody came in the end.
• Not many people attended the party.
• Nearly twenty cars were damaged in the
3. • Adverbs can modify adjectives, but an
adjectives cannot modify an adverb.
• Thus, it is possible to say that:
The students showed a really positive change
The students showed a positively tremendous
My lecturer is totally upset.
• But not:-
Χ He works total hard.
4. • Like adjectives, adverbs can have comparative
and superlative forms to show degree:-
Speak louder if you want me to hear you.
The student who finishes the fastest will be
given a prize.
5. • More and most, less and least to show
the degree with adverb:
Barefooted, the thief could run more
The dresses were the most beautifully
tailored creations I've ever chosen.
She worked less hard after her accident.
That was the least skillfully staged
performance I've seen in many years.
6. • An adverb can also be used without the 'ly' form
He always arrives late.
• On the other hand, the adverb 'lately' carries a
Lately, he never arrives on time.
In some cases, the adverb form without the 'ly'
is used for casual situations:
She certainly drives slow in her new
He spoke sharp and quick.
7. • Adverbs can also function as intensifiers,
conveying a greater or lesser emphasis to
• There are three kinds of intensifiers:
emphasise, amplify or downtone.
I really don't want the children to be here.
He casually walked into the house.
He simply ignored all warnings.
Her husband completely rejected her wish.
The wife absolutely refuses to accept his gift.
She so hated him.
• She sort of felt betrayed by him.
• Yannie mildly disapproved his idea.
• The relationship can be improved to some
1. The ballerina danced gracefully.
2. There is not much salt left in the jar.
3. Those who arrived early shall receive a
4.He was slightly offended by his remarks.
5.The monkey went completely banana over
6.Santa Claus came to town yesterday.
10. 7. She is a friendly teacher.
8. Shawn Michaels worked totally hard for his
9. But it ended up as a total failure.
10. He was very frustrated.
11. So he went absolutely beserk and kick
almost everyone within his vision field.
12. About twenty men were injured during the