Malware• What is Malware?• The word Malware is made up of two words▫ Malicious Software• Programs that can access/damage files inyour computer.• Who can be threatening on internet?▫ Hackers: Persons who try to stealprograms, money and information.
1. Viruses• A malicious code that copies itself.• It enters in files in your computer.• And spreads itself with every file that gets outof the computer: pen-drive, email, etc.• Most viruses are spread through emailattachments.• Prevention: Do not open email attachmentswithout scanning them with an antivirus.
2. Worms• A worm is different from virus in that it canbe attached to the actual email without usingan attachment.• Worms spread on their own, do not wait forfile to get out of computer.• Once computer is infected, worm makes copyof himself and infect the whole network.• Prevention: Update antivirus software.
3. Trojan Horses• It hides itself in games or youtube videos.• When downloaded on computer, the trojanhorse installs a key logger• It records every key pressed by the user• Used to steal information, financial accounts,and passwords.
4. Spam• What is spam?• Emails promoting products, or services• In other words Rubbish....• They can take a lot of bandwidth and causethe email service to crash.• Prevention: Spam can be filtered by the emailfilter
5. Phishing• This can happen when using financialinformation on internet• Sometimes we receive emails from HSBC,BOV or paypal saying "URGENT: UpdateAccount Status".• These are all attempts of phishing, to stealyour information and steal your money.• They are copy of the bank site.
** TASK **Fill in the blanks with:Virus, Worm, Antivirus, Spam, Phishing1. A ________ is a program that attaches itselfwith an email and makes copy of itself.2. __________ is the method used to steal money.3. ________ are emails that contain rubbish.4. Trojan Horse is a type of ___________5. To prevent your computer from viruses youshould have an _____________