All you need to know about hieroglyphics!Presentation Transcript
By: Matt Z. & Simonne O. All you need to know about hieroglyphics!
* What does hieroglyphics mean?
Hieroglyphics mean sacred writing. Sacred writing refers to the holy scripture. Holy scripture are books written by those inspired by god.
* How many meanings did each hieroglyphic have?
Each and every hieroglyphic had up to three meanings each. One single hieroglyphic had up to three meanings each.
* What did they write hieroglyphics on?
They wrote hieroglyphics on this stone called the “Rosetta Stone”. One the top part of the stone they wrote in hieroglyphics. On the middle part of the stone they wrote in demotic hieroglyphics, and on the bottom part they wrote in ancient Greek. Ancient Greek could be translated easily.
* What were cartouche’s used for, and what is a cartouche?
Cartouche hieroglyphics were used to form an oval plaque representing the birth name of pharos, queens, and other persons of high standings. A cartouche is an oval.
* How did the Egyptian people use hieroglyphics?
They used hieroglyphics to write. They had pictures that represented words. They put Hieroglyphics on buildings and tombs.
* How many symbols do they use?
They use over 700 ancient Egyptian symbols representing actual words and thousands of others used for sounds.
* How many forms of hieroglyphics are there?
There are two forms of hieroglyphics and the two forms are: Ancient hieroglyphics, and demotic hieroglyphics .