• Student-faculty collaborative research!
• Tasks in expertise range of students!
• Meaningful contributions!
Wheaton College Digital History
• Kathryn Tomasek,
• History methods
• Transcribing &
• Partners: archivist,
Daily accounting of
reﬂect the many
business activities of
1828 and 1859!
NEH DH Start-up
Ability to work in a team!
Needed for liberal arts colleges!
Characteristic of Digital Humanities!
• Stage 1: Background Reading in Secondary
• Stage 2: Transcription and Coding of Daybook
• Stage 3: Writing and Editing Episodes for the
• Stage 4: Writing a Paper Based on Primary
Process Checklist for Integrating Digital
Humanities Projects into Courses!
1. Connecting Course and Project!
2. Scaffolding and Chunking!
3. Collaborative Teaching!
Teamwork VALUE Rubric!
Teamwork is behaviors under the control of
individual team members (effort they put into team
tasks, their manner of interacting with others on
team, and the quantity and quality of contributions
they make to team discussions.)!
Situating the Global Environment!
• Lewis & Clark College!
• https://sge.lclark.edu/ !
• Jim Proctor,
“Situated Social Learning”!
• Situated research!
– Local focus on global issues!
Document research process!
Share research resources!
Share references !
Aggregate projects on blog!
High Impact Practices!
• Common intellectual experience!
– Reﬂecting on research!
Learning communities online!
Documenting learning experiences!
• An early sample, model or release of a product
built to test a concept or process or to act as a
thing to be replicated or learned from!
• Prototyping serves to provide speciﬁcations for a
real, working system rather than a theoretical
• from πρῶτος (protos), "ﬁrst" and τύπος (typos),
Digital Field Scholarship!
• Davidson, Math Maps!
• Lewis and Clark, Digital
• Reed College, Carbon !