5. The first two pages of a new local
newspaper, together with both of
- A poster for the newspaper
- Two hyperlinked pages from the
Owners and Publishers
- For the Sunderland Echo the Owner is Johnston Press
and the Publisher is North East Press.
- For the Owner of the Daily Mirror it is Trinity Mirror.
- For the Sun it is published by the News Group
Newspapers division of News UK
- If I was to publish my newspaper I would choose the
North East Press as it is a local publisher as it
publishes the Hartlepool Mail, the Sunderland Echo
and Northumberland Gazette.
- For The Sun it usually has 15-44 year old
- For The Guardian they have more younger
readers than older readers.
- Because of the above facts I have decided yo
have a target audience of 15-30 year olds as it
seems to be that younger people are taking to
reading the news.
Idea – Front Cover of Newspaper
- For this project I hoping to do a newspaper which will be about the news in the local area.
- My newspaper will be a daily newspaper as this is what they typically do for real
newspapers and news happens everyday not just once a week.
- I will try to use shocking and eye catching sell lines to make the readers want to buy my
newspaper like the do with existing newspapers.
- I will use red, black and white as this is what they typically use on newspapers and also blue
to make different sell lines or images stand out more.
- My target audience for the newspaper will be 15-30 year olds. This is around the ages of a
typical newspaper tabloid and so will include typical tabloid contents (celebrity news etc) as
well as the news in the local area which the whole age range would be interested in.
- For the layout of my newspaper I decided to look at existing newspaper with the same
target audience so that they know that it is for them. Also by doing this process I found out
which style of font to use (simple/formal), how to use colours effectively to make each image
or piece of text stand out as well as arranging the layout so that it would frame the main
article by using other sell lines and images.
- I will also put a link on my newspaper to link it to the website so as to attract the young
target audience into reading a newspaper they wouldn’t usually buy from a shop.
- Another thing which I have noticed from researching existing newspapers is that they
usually have advertisements and so for my newspaper I have kept to this convention.
- What I’ve noticed from
this newspaper is that they
have chosen a local icon
who everybody recognises
to help promote/sell the
newspaper and I so will try
to put this into my
- What I’ve noticed from
looking at local tabloid
newspapers is that they
usually use blunt, straight to
the point headlines, using only
3-7 words that shock the
reader for example in The Sun
it reads ‘DAD AT 13’. I will try
to use this kind of shocking
language in the newspaper I
create, so as to grab readers
attention and buy the
- I like the colours used in
this magazine as it is the
typical colours newspapers
use and it shows how you
can effectively use colour
to make sell lines and
images stand out, and so I
will try to use this
technique in my
- For all this is a
magazine it has still
inspired me to use
famous people who
most people know in
my newspaper as it
will attract readers to
Idea – 1st Page of Newspaper
- For my 1st page I will do a contents page of what will be in my
newspaper as this is what they typically do in a newspaper.
- For the layout of my newspaper I decided to look at existing
newspaper with the same target audience so that they know that it is
for them. Also by doing this process I found out which style of font to
use (simple/formal), how to use colours effectively to make each
image or piece of text stand out as well as arranging the layout so that
it would frame the main article and other interesting articles.
- From looking at existing newspapers I’ve found that they also include
a little article about subscribing to the newspaper which allows
customers to know how to subscribe and how much it will be.
- From this newspaper I was
inspired by the idea of allowing
customers to subscribe to the
newspaper as it will make
readers more likely to continue
reading the newspaper so it is
good for my product, but also
because the customers are
subscribing they will be getting
a cheaper deal too.
- From this newspaper I was also
inspired by the layout of the
page as it has framed the main
article and yet the other articles
stand out too and so I will put
this in my newspaper.
- For all this is a music magazine
contents page I was still
inspired by how they
organised the layout in such
a way that everything has a
place, everything is eye
catching as the colours are
used effectively and yet it
doesn’t look too
overcrowded with words as
they also included images to
help break up the page.
Idea – The Poster for Newspaper
- For my poster I have chosen to use red, black and
white as my colour palette as this is what they
typically do for newspaper advertisements.
- I choose to do this template as this as they typically
have text in the middle of the advert but after
researching in more detail I have been inspired to
change the pull quote into a sort of funny slogan as
this is what they have done below:
- From this poster I was inspired on how they use their
masthead/logo in their slogan. This poster also shows the
way in which the newspaper tells the news (in a
humourous way), which I too want to include in my
- This poster again shows
the humour in newspaper
advertisements which the
METRO uses in its
newspaper in its
advertisement to intrigue
people into buying the
- From looking at newspaper advertisements I
have found that they use their masthead/logo in
their slogan in a humourous way and so I have
again been inspired to do this for my newspaper.
- For this poster about The
Sun I liked how they used red
and white as the main
colours as it makes it eye
- Another technique I have found from researching newspaper
adverts is that they also use the same layout as a typical newspaper
front cover but change the words to tell the readers about what is
inside the magazine. This technique has inspired me to think about
doing this for my newspaper.
- For this advertisement it still keeps to the humour
to which you would typically see in a newspaper
advert, however it also includes things which the
typical target audiences who are watching the
advert do, such as talking about pay day etc. So for
my newspaper advertisement I will try to do this in
my newspaper, as this may help to attract my target
- For this magazine launch advert
I have been inspired by the layout
of the advert as it is presented as
if it was the product it is
- Another technique they have
used which I have been inspired
by is how it talks about what is
featuring in the magazine and
this is something I want to
imitate from the magazine.
-From the magazine I also liked
the idea of promoting my
newspaper by showing the first
or second edition of the product.
Idea – Home screen of Newspaper
- For my home screen page for my website I have
decided to use a red, black, white and blue colour
palette as this is what they typically use for existing
newspapers and so it also flows from print to digital.
- For the layout of my newspaper website I took
inspiration from existing newspaper websites like The
Sun and The Mirror.
- The target audience for my newspaper website is the
same as my newspaper (15-30year olds), however this
is aimed at the younger audience as typically teenagers
use the internet more than the older target audience.
- For my home screen website page I was inspired by the colour scheme of the
Mirror’s website as it uses the colours to make each part stand out, so I would
like to imitate this technique in my website as it allows existing newspaper
websites to know what the website is and how they should use it.
- From this newspaper website I was also inspired by the layout as it has the
masthead on the left in a red background and the when you are on a specific
page it shows red to show where you are.
- From this newspaper website I was inspired by
how it had different sections of the news such
as ‘Sport’ and ‘Arts&Ents’.
Idea – News (1st Hyperlink) of
-For my News page for my website I was hoping to write about news in the local area.
- My website will be constantly updated daily so that people can be informed via the internet
of what is happening in the news. I decided to do this because as the years go by the internet
world is expanding and now people (such as my target audience) are reading the news
digitally rather than buying a newspaper from a shop.
-I will try to use shocking and eye catching phrases to make the readers want to read my
newspaper website and then go on to subscribe to my newspaper like they do with existing
- I will use red, black and white as this is what they typically use on newspaper websites and
also blue to make some articles or images stand out more.
- My target audience for the newspaper will be 15-30 year olds as it will contain some content
that you would see in a typical newspaper website (about celebrities) and about the news in
your local area which the whole age range would be interested in.
- For the layout of my newspaper I decided to look at existing newspaper websites with the
same target audience so that they know that it is for them. Also by doing this process I found
out which style of font to use (simple/formal), how to use colours effectively to make each
image or piece of text stand out as well as arranging the layout so that it would frame the
main article by using other articles and images.
- Another thing which I have noticed from researching existing newspaper websites is that
they usually have advertisement and so for my website I kept to this convention.
- I have noticed by looking at existing newspaper
websites is that they always have a ‘NEWS’
page and so I was inspired to imitate the same
technique for my newspaper website.
- From this website I was inspired by the way they have used the colours to
make each section of the webpage stand out and so I will try to imitate it
in my newspaper, as it will make readers want to look around on the
whole site as it will look organised and professional looking.
- From this website I was inspired by the layout of the
website as it makes the page look organised and
professional looking and so I will try to imitate it in my
Idea – What’s On (2nd Hyperlink)
of Newspaper Hyperlink
- For my 2nd hyperlink page I will use the same
colours as my newspaper and other newspaper
pages; red, white, black and blue to keep
consistency throughout my product, to keep it
professional looking and also so that readers can
recognise the house style of my product.
- My target audience also remains the same (15-
30 year olds) for this part of my product.
- For my ‘What’s On’ page for my website I noticed that they
usually dedicate a section to local events and so I was inspired
to imitate this technique and use it in my website so that
when readers came to view my website they would find every
thing they would typically see in an existing newspaper
website on my website.
- From looking on this page I also noticed that they write articles on
local celebrities (who local people may now) and so it inspired me
to put this into my newspaper as readers will want to read about
local people as well as the main news.
- Also from looking on this website on the ‘WHAT’S ON’ page I found
inspiration on what to call my events page.
- From this website I found that they also
include videos for their news website and so I
was inspired by this to include into my
- I also got inspired by the way they use the
setting to emphasize the subject they are
speaking about and talking to the people
about the subject matter. By doing this it
makes it look more believable and
- From this website I liked how they did a voice over
which went with the images they were showing on
screen and felt that it made the video more
- Also from this video I liked how they used different
focus (from unfocused to focused) as it draws your
attention to the screen.
- I also liked how when they were interviewing
George Osbourne they had a box come up of who
it is and the logo of the company.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.