1. The Scientific Method
An introduction and guide through
2. What is the Scientific Method?
• The Scientific Method is a way to ask and
answer a scientific question by making
observations and doing experiments.
3. Why do we need the Scientific
• We need the Scientific Method to help us
understand a science problem that we can’t
do without the steps.
• We also need the Scientific Method to help
scientists with the work that they do.
4. Ask a Question
• This is the first step to the Method. Let’s say
you had the question to ask: Why does an
object stay in motion? That would be your
question and first step.
5. Do Background Research
• This is the second step. To do background
research you could look it up in a encyclopedia
or on the internet. It will give you information
and will help you know more about the
6. Construct a Hypothesis
• A hypothesis is a fancy word for guess. From
the information you gathered you have to
draw conclusions and create a guess.
7. Test your Hypothesis with a
• After you create a hypothesis you should test
it out. When you test it make sure you record
what you did and what happened.
8. Analyze Your Data and Draw
• Now you take the data you gathered and the
test data and you draw a conclusion.
Remember you have to think before you have
your final conclusion.
9. Communicate Your Results
• This is the final step. All you have to do is talk
10. • There! Now you know the steps of the