• Opening title sequence is delineated through different newspaper articles. The public refer
to the news as things that are currently happening. Therefore this effect causes the
audience to believe that the story is reality.
• Due to the newspaper effect, the images are shown in black and white. Black has
connotations of mystery, darkness and death where as white has connotations of
innocents, purity and heaven. As this film is based upon the religious belief’s of heaven
and hell, this effect could be to symbolize this.
• The image presented behind the movie title presents a rope hanging from the tree with a
circle at the end. This thus delineates the genre as the circle is used to symbolize what
goes around comes around; your afterlife depends on what you choose to believe. This
could also be foreshadowing whats about to happen as when you see a looped rope it is
associated with suicide. The single rope could also be used to symbolize loneliness.
• The image behind the directors name is of a house. This could be to communicate
isolation and to show a normal neighbour hood thus presenting how it the story can occur
anywhere and with anyone.
• The people shown in the articles are in old fashioned costumes. This could be to
demonstrate that the story has been happening for a long time. It could also be to
illuminate the religious theme as many years ago religion was very important. As the
article show may paranormal experiences it presents a contrast to this.
• The font that is portrayed throughout is very bold and links with the newspaper theme.
• The music is very low based and consists of bells, birds and whispers and creates a
sinister atmosphere. The use of birds symbolizes someone always watching. This is
enhanced through the sound of whispers etc as it gives the idea of being followed.
• Overall this opening title sequence clearly presents the genre of a psychological horror
and gives information on the plot through the articles.