Ethics (303) Mid-Semester Exam page ! of !1 4
Ethics Mid-Semester Exam (303)
?? August 2014, 0900-1100
Use only the space given for each answer.
This exam is looking for clear, concise answers.
Use lists and bullet points where appropriate.
You must use your Bible in this exam - Biblical references are expected
to be used in answering each question.
There are 5 questions, each worth 20 marks - select and answer only 3
1. What should a Christian believe about divorce an remarriage? Using the Bible as
your main source give the arguments for and against divorce and remarriage. (20
2. What is ethics and why should a Christian study it? (20 marks)
3. India has declared war against Pakistan over some disturbances in Kashmir.
There is strong pressure in Indian society and through the media for people to sign
up to serve in the armed forces. Discuss how a Christian should think about war - in
particular make sure you address the question of which position is biblically best,
pacifism or just war? (20 marks)
4. The daughter of your best friend has been attacked and raped. It has been
confirmed as a result of this attack that she is now pregnant. She, and her whole
family, would like to have an abortion. However they are unsure if this is the best
course of action and are struggling to know what God would want them to do in this
situation. Describe the counselling process you would employ for the girl and her
family, what issues you might address etc,. (20 marks)
5. The father of an elder in the church you attend has been diagnosed with terminal
cancer and is in great pain. He has asked his son to help end his life. You are asked
what a Christian should think about euthanasia, what are the arguments for and
against it, and what are the key Bible references to consider. Finally, what advice
would you give to the elder? (20 marks)