List of terms
Fields in a predefined fixed schema.
Fields, with associated modifiable schema.
Fields, document types, free schema.
Lucene, Xapian + families:
Use batches for fastest updates
No updates to existing indexes
(“Realtime indexing” in beta with SQL API)
Hash based segments
Scaling / replication
● All engines allow searches across databases
● Allows sharding
● All engines allow replication
● Allows spreading load and high availability
● Had difficulty with Sphinx
● Elastic search does it completely transparently
Lucene: Lucid Imagination, Sematext, …
Xapian: Oligarchy Ltd, Flax, me
Sphinx: Sphinx Technologies Inc
● Lucene / Solr community – revolting (they say)
● Xapian – quieter, but steadily growing
● Sphinx – popular amongst relational database
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.