1. REVERE YOUTH CENTER Supported by The Revere Neighborhood Developers
2. WHAT IS A YOUTH CENTER? A Youth Center is a social and recreational institution intended for children and teens. Such a center “ All too often we are giving supports opportunities for young people cut flowers youth to develop their when we should be physical, social, emotional, a teaching them to grow nd cognitive abilities and to their own plants.” experience – John W. Gardner achievement, leadership, enj oyment, friendship, and recognition.
3. REVERE’S YOUTH CENTER PAST ROCA Revere closed 13 years ago and since then, Revere has been at a loss of a Youth Center, which was vital to promoting teen development, drug and health awareness, community organizing and recreational activities. Dimple: “I was an honor student, but outside of school I still needed support to develop my identity and build leadership skills.” Sarath: “As a survivor of mine and my family’s refugee resettlement and trauma experience, being involved with a youth center brought resources for me to be a true Community Leader today.” Michael: “I dropped out of high school to provide for my family. If it wasn’t for my involvement in a youth center I wouldn’t have pursued my GED, develop work skills, leave gang life behind, and be in college.”
4. WORCESTER YOUTH CENTER
5. OTHER YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS
6. WHY NOW? Revere is limited in terms of what young individuals can do to alleviate themselves from the daily stresses of a high school student. Because of this, youth are more susceptible to negative influences, including drug use, violence, and the most deadly of all, boredom. Having a Youth Center opens up opportunities for youth experience achievement, leadership, enjoyment, friendship, and recognition. Possible installments include: a recording studio, indoor basketball court, a gym, a youth-lead café, art design studio, tutoring programs, etc.
7. SUPPORT In order to make this a reality, we need the support of young individuals such as yourself. You are the foundation that this Youth Center lies on. The Worcester Youth Center was only possible because of young individuals from its community. They were the ones who came together and voiced their opinions to their mayor, their city council, etc, and made their Youth Center what it is today. We are currently in the same process as well, but we need to figure out the general consensus of what students want for the future of our community. Surveys Get your parents involved!