1. Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD)Long rangeacoustic device is anon-lethal anti-piracy devicewhich uses paininducing soundbeam to drive awaythe pirates. Thesonic weaponproduces high-pitched noise thatis higher than thetolerance level ofan average humanbeing. LRAD hasbeen used on fewcargo and cruiseships until now. www.marineinsight.com
2. Anti-Piracy Laser Device The anti-piracy laser device uses non-lethal laser beam to provide a visual warning to pirates and distract them temporarily. The laser device can be used during both day and night, and can be easily operated by the ship’s crew. www.marineinsight.com
3. Water CannonWater cannon is anothernon-lethal weapon which isextensively used on merchantvessels. As an anti-piracymethod, the device deliverspowerful and impenetrablestream of water that blowsaway pirates trying to boardthe ship. The cannon can alsoquickly fill the pirates’ boatsto slow them down andhinder their manoeuvrability.Most of the water cannonanti-piracy systems can beremotely controlled from asafe position on ships. Watchwater cannon in action here. www.marineinsight.com
4. Electric Secure Fence Electric fence non-lethal system consists of an electric fence which surrounds the ship and prevents pirates from climbing. The system is a collapsible fence which can be folded and kept safe when not in use. Secure Ship is another type of electric fence system which can be effectively used to prevent pirates from climbing ships. www.marineinsight.com
5. Nets – Boat TrapsBoat trap is atype of ballisticnet which canbe used to stoppirates’ boatswhen they comenear to amerchant ship.When inwater, the netensnares thepropellers of theboats whichdisable thevessel, preventing it frommovingforward. www.marineinsight.com
6. Slippery Foam – Mobile Denial SystemSlippery foam or Anti-traction material is a non-lethal substance which can beused to make the deck or sides of a ship slippery to avoid pirates from climbing it.The highly viscous substance substantially reduces traction of anything that comesin contact with it, making it difficult to walk or stand.7. Foul Smelling liquid – Liquid Deterrent System ( or using Stun Gun)An anti-piracy technology by the International Maritime Security Network of USinvolves showering approaching pirates with slick, foul-smelling green liquid, whichstinks and burns. The burning sensation and the nasty stink forces pirates to jumpinto the water, thus stopping a possible pirate attack. www.marineinsight.com
8. Anti boarding device – Razor Wire Canister Anti-boarding device is an anti- piracy method which uses canisters with sharp razor wires to prevent pirates from boarding the ship. The wires act as a barrier between the pirates and the ship, which thwarts forward movement of pirates. www.marineinsight.com
9. Compressed Air – Ship Bourne Shore LauncherThe Ship BourneShore Launcher isa product of a UKbased company.The BuccaneerShip Bourne ShoreLauncher is acannon shapeddevice which usescompressed air tofire a variety ofprojectiles. Thepower and lethalityof the projectilesused can varyaccording to thedistance of thepirates from theship. www.marineinsight.com
10. P Trap Anti Piracy P-trap concept is a non-lethal system which helps prevent pirates from boarding ships. The system carries thin lines which float at the water level around the sides of the vessel. When pirate skiffs/boats come in contact with the lines, the later gets entangled with the engine and disable the vessel. www.marineinsight.com
11. Anti Piracy CurtainDesigned by a division ofJapan’s NYK group alongwith hose manufacturerYokoi, anti-piracy curtainis a unique method tokeep pirates fromclimbing the ships. Thesystem consists of a seriesof hoses which aredangled on the port andstarboard sides of thevessel. Sea water is passedthrough the nozzles at aforce of 0.2 MegaPascal, which makes thehoses go in unpredictablewhirlingmotion, generatingenough force to seriouslyhurt anyone who gets in www.marineinsight.comthe way.
12. Non-lethal / Stun Grenade Stun grenade or flash grenade is a non-lethal anti-piracy device which produces a blinding flash of light and loud noise. Stun grenades are used to temporary disorient pirates senses without causing any kind of permanent injury. www.marineinsight.com
13. Dazzle GunDazzle gunis a type oflaserweaponwhich usesgreen lightto disorientandtemporaryblind thepirates. Theconcentrated blast ofgreen lightcan be usedduring bothday andnight. www.marineinsight.com
14. Rubber Ball Grenade Rubber ball grenade as a non-lethal weapon sprays rubber bullets on detonation. The anti-piracy grenade also produces light and sound which can be used to deter pirates from coming towards the ship. www.marineinsight.com
15. Active Denial System – Pain Ray (Electromagnetic wave)Officially known as theActive Denial System(ADS), the Pain Ray isa non-lethal weaponwhich transmits anarrow beam ofelectromagneticenergy to heat the skinwithout causingpermanent damage.The wave penetratesbeneath the skinwhich causesunbearable burningsensation, forcingpirates to run away orjump overboard. www.marineinsight.com
16. Anti-Piracy Fire Hoses Ship’s fire hoses or special Anti-piracy fire hoses are often used to fight pirates trying to board the ships. These high pressure water hoses are extremely powerful and effective to fight pirates. Special anti-piracy fire hoses also come with semi- automatic and remote control system. www.marineinsight.com
17. Molotov CocktailTechnically not a hi-techanti-piracyweapon, Molotovcocktail has been usedby crew of a fewmerchant ships whichwere not provided withanti-piracy weapons orarmed guards. Molotovcocktail can be made onships using empty glassbottles, flammablesubstance such asgasoline, and source ofignition such as burningcloth wick. It can bethrown on anapproaching pirate boatto set it ablaze anddisturb their www.marineinsight.commanoeuvrability.
18. Tasers – Electric Shock If pirates do get on board ships, crew and ship’s cargo can be protected using tasers – a non-lethal weapon which delivers an electric shock that temporarily causes the pirates to lose neuro muscular control. The device can definitely used as the last resort to protect the ship’s crew from pirates www.marineinsight.com
Image Creditssolarnavigator, ggpht, argotrade, maritimejournal, motorship, theblaze, wikipedia , blogspot, quantico For more Interesting Articles Visit www.marineinsight.com www.marineinsight.com
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.