1. Why should I come to the national climate rallies on Saturday June 13 th ?
2. Right now, the Rudd Government is trying to get its Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme through Parliament.
3. <ul><li>It is a deeply flawed scheme that will have no significant effect whatsoever on the climate problem. </li></ul><ul><li>We need to tell the government to go back to the drawing board and start again . </li></ul>
4. <ul><li>Also, later this year, in December, Australia goes to Copenhagen to make global carbon agreements. </li></ul>
5. <ul><li>… and this in turn means that we, the people, must build the biggest and strongest climate movement we can . </li></ul>
6. <ul><li>Then the government will feel pressured to sign up to serious carbon reduction targets at Copenhagen. </li></ul>
7. <ul><li>We must be so big, and so powerful , that we out-weigh the coal and other fossil fuel lobby groups, who have held Canberra captive for so long. </li></ul>
8. <ul><li>Can we do it? </li></ul>
9. <ul><li>The Earth needs serious help – not 5% token carbon reductions. </li></ul>
10. Already the Arctic is melting from too much carbon in the air – we must not only slow the growth of CO2 in the atmosphere – we have to actually reduce it.
11. <ul><li>This means committing ourselves to drastic carbon reductions – there is no other way. Humans cannot negotiate with an increasingly chaotic climate – it will not listen. </li></ul>
12. <ul><li>Al Gore has called for 100% renewable energy by 2020 as the only way to avoid climate catastrophe. </li></ul><ul><li>We repeat this call. </li></ul>
13. <ul><li>In the 1960s, the US committed itself to putting a human on the moon by the end of the decade. A huge percentage of the national economy was channeled towards this end, and they achieved the “impossible”. </li></ul>
14. <ul><li>Likewise, we need to build a movement that says to our government: </li></ul><ul><li>“ We are ready to set ourselves an even more important challenge for the next decade.” </li></ul>
15. <ul><li>“ We demand an economy that is channeled towards this essential task.” </li></ul>
16. <ul><li>“ We demand a responsible government that will look after not only this generation, but generations to come.” </li></ul>
17. <ul><li>Join the thousands on June 13 th calling for this new vision – calling for an uncompromising policy of protection for the Earth and all its inhabitants. </li></ul>
18. <ul><li>100% renewables by 2020! </li></ul><ul><li>Green jobs – no job cuts! </li></ul><ul><li>A strong international agreement with climate justice for all! </li></ul><ul><li>Climate policies that make the big polluters pay! </li></ul>
19. <ul><li>Please rally at 1pm, Sat June 13 th , Queens Park (cnr George & Elizabeth Sts, City). </li></ul><ul><li>Speakers, bands, workshops and information stalls at the end of the march! </li></ul>
20. <ul><li>Be part of the movement for change right now : please pass this on to as many in your networks as you can . </li></ul><ul><li>- and if you would like to help actively build the rally, please email [email_address] </li></ul><ul><li>If you’d like to get connected with others concerned with climate change, join the network email list by emailing email@example.com </li></ul>