Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Ppt non verbal communication
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×

Saving this for later?

Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime - even offline.

Text the download link to your phone

Standard text messaging rates apply

Ppt non verbal communication

44,551
views

Published on

Published in: Technology, Business

4 Comments
12 Likes
Statistics
Notes
No Downloads
Views
Total Views
44,551
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
5
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2,058
Comments
4
Likes
12
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide
  • CSS
  • Transcript

    • 1. PAPER PRESENTATION ON NON VERBAL COMUNICATION 1
    • 2. Non VerbalCommunication 2
    • 3. Verbal NonverbalCommunicatio Communication nThewords we Bodily actions and use vocal qualities that typically accompany a verbal message 3
    • 4. IMPORTANCE OF NON-VERBALCOMMUNICATION♦ only 7% of a message’s effect is carried by words ; listeners receive the other 93% through non -verbal means - Communication researcher Mehrabian ♦Over 65 percent of the social meaning of the messages we send to others are communicated non-verbally. 4
    • 5. “What you are speaksso loudly that I cannot hear what you say” -Ralph Waldo Emerson 5
    • 6. Characteristics of NonverbalCommunication Intentional or unintentional Ambiguous Primary Continuous Multichanneled 6
    • 7. Functions of NonverbalCommunicationTo provide informationTo regulate interactionTo express or hide emotion and affectTo present an imageTo express power and control 7
    • 8. Regulate Interaction Facial expressions or gestures that are used to control or regulate the flow of a conversation Microsoft Photo 8
    • 9. Express Emotion or AffectFacial expressions and gestures that augment the verbal expression of feelings Microsoft Photo 9
    • 10. Types of NonverbalCommunication Kinesics Paralanguage Vocal interferences Spatial Usage tthiing y h ng Self-presentation E v e rry p t E ve e pt cues e xc e e xc s! worrd s ! e wo d tth e h 10
    • 11. KinesicsEye ContactFacial expressionsEmoticonsGesturePostureTouch 11
    • 12. Touch Touching and being touched are essential to a healthy life Touch can communicate power, empathy, understanding Microsoft Photo 12
    • 13. Paralanguage Pitch Volume Rate Quality Intonation 13
    • 14. Vocal Interferences Extraneous sounds or words that interrupt fluent speech ◦ “uh,” “um” ◦ “you know,” “like” Place markers Filler 14
    • 15. Spatial UsageProxemics ◦ Intimate distance ◦ Personal distance ◦ Social distance ◦ Public DistanceTerritory 15
    • 16. Personal Space at WorkYour officeYour deskA table in the cafeteria that you sit at regularly Microsoft Photo 16
    • 17. Color Influences Communication Yellow cheers Red excites Blue comforts and and andelevates moods stimulates soothes In some In some cultures cultures black suggests white suggests mourning purity 17
    • 18. Self-Presentation Cues Physical Appearance Time (Chronemics) Olfactory Communication 18
    • 19. Self-Presentation What message do you wish to send with your choice of clothing and personal Microsoft Photo grooming? 19
    • 20. Time How do we manage and react to others’ management of time ◦ duration ◦ activity ◦ punctuality Microsoft Photo 20
    • 21. Cultural and Gender VariationsKinesicsParalanguageProxemics and TerritoryOlfactory Communication 21
    • 22. NonverbalVary from culture toSignalsculture Microsoft Photo 22
    • 23. What does this symbol mean to you? In the United States it is a symbol for good job In Germany the number one In Japan the number five In Ghana an insult In Malaysia the thumb is used to point rather than a finger 23
    • 24. Improving Nonverbal CommunicationSkills•When sending messages • Be conscious of nonverbal behavior • Be purposeful in use of nonverbals • Make sure nonverbals are not distracting • Match verbal and nonverbal communication • Adapt to the situation 24
    • 25. Improving Nonverbal CommunicationSkills•When receiving messages • Don’t automatically assume • Consider gender, culture and individual differences • Pay attention to all aspects of nonverbal communication • Use perception checking 25
    • 26. Teachers should be aware of nonverbal behavior forthree major reasons:An awareness of nonverbal behavior will allow you to become better receivers of students messages.You will become a better sender of signals that reinforce learning.This mode of communication increases the degree of the perceived psychological closeness between teacher and student. 26
    • 27. Creating a climate that facilitateslearning and retention demands good nonverbal skills. THANK YOU 27