UNIVERSIDAD CENTRAL DEL ECUADORPresentation Transcript
CENTRAL UNIVERSITY OF ECUADOR
Our Earth• The Earth is like an island of life in the midst of empty space. the conditions of our world are perfect. The air, water and sun give us light and heat, and life.
Our Earth• Our planet is surrounded by the atmosphere. It is a thin layer of gases (mainly oxygen and nitrogen) that extends to about 700 km over the Earths surface. It is in the atmosphere, where keeps the planet warm and all weather phenomena occur. This layer also contains other chemical elements: nitrogen, carbon and cook, constantly transferred to Earth and used by living elements.
The greenhouse effect Earth atmosphere is composed by gases such as nitrogen and oxygen (needed for breathing). Other gases less called“ greenhouse“ as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrogen dioxide.
The greenhouse effect • In small concentrations the greenhouse gases are vital for our survival. • When sunlight reaches Earth, a little of this energy is reflected in the clouds, the rest passes through the atmosphere and reaches the ground. Thanks to this energy, plants can grow and develop.
The greenhouse effect• But not all the suns energy is harnessed on Earth, some is "returned" to the space. Since Earth is much cooler than the Sun, it can not return as heat and light. The are called• INFRARED rays.
Greenhouse Greenhouse gases absorb this infrared energy like a sponge, thus warming the Earths surface as the air around it. If there were no greenhouse gases, the planet would be about 30 degrees colder than it is now! Under these conditions, life probably could never have developed.
• The suns energy is trapped by gases in the same way that heat is trapped behind the glass of a greenhouse.
• The Sun will produces a series of nuclear reactions as result of the emission of huge amounts of energy. Very little of this energy reaches the Earth, and participates in a series of physical and chemical processes, essential for life.
Implications• We know the consequences of the greenhouse effect, the question is, what we can expect for the next century? If do not
• Increase in average global temperature.
• Increased drought in some areas and floods in others. Drought Floods
• Increased frequency of hurricane formation.
• Progressive melting of polar ice caps, resulting in rising sea levels.
• Increased rainfall on a global level but fewer days and more rain in torrents.
• Increase in number of hot days, resulting in heat waves.
What can you do?• All the inhabitants of this planet, we must take action to stop climate changes and the greenhouse effect. We can replace aerosols, the main source of these gases, sprays that do not harm the environment.
• The methane from livestock waste can be recycled at a chemical plant to produce energy.• We can plant a tree
At home, remember not to waste electricity.• Use a heating system that uses the maximum energy and need more energy to produce heat.
• Reducing fuel consumption. Currently a car shows each year four times its weight in carbon dioxide.
• Turn off lights whenever you leave a room; Do not leave the TV or stereo on when not using .
• Do not let hot water run when washing.• You can also give new uses to the bottles. Recycle glass, plastic, paper in this way we can save many trees.
• Always remember that every minute humans emit 48 000 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.• And we can all help reduce this amount.
Source of information• http://www.portalplanetasedna.com.a r/efecto_invernadero1.htm