5. HEADRIGHT SYSTEM: a grant of land for settling in VA
6. INDENTURED SERVITUDE: a contractin which a poor Englishman/womanagreed to work for a colonist (who paidtheir passage to Virginia) for a period of4-7 yearsThe colonist received the indenturedservant’s headright of 50 acresFreedom dues: the land, seed andtools given to an indentured servantafter they completed their service
8. Indian Massacre of 1622
9. “Seasoning”Diseases spread rapidly in theheat of the Virginia summer.Those did not die of sicknesswere said to have survived the“seasoning” timeCommon diseases were•Yellow fever•Smallpox•Measles•Plague•Malaria
10. House of Burgesses (1619)
11. MarylandCecil Calvert, Lord Baltimore “The Chesapeake” = VA + MA
12. Bacon’s Rebellion (1676)Causes:• ↓ Tobacco prices• ↑ cost of manufactured goods• Poor weather• English-Dutch warEvents:• Bacon attacked friendly Native Americans with popular support.• Gov. Berkeley went after Bacon• Bacon and his mob attack the capital, Jamestown and eventually burn it• Gov. Berkeley regains control• Bacon dies of disease and his followers are hanged.