The night the ghost got in!!!Presentation Transcript
The night the ghost got
• There was a big hullabaloo on
November 17, 1915 because there
was sounds coming from the
author’s house and no one knew
whether there were ghosts or
• The sounds began when all were
asleep and the author was in
bath, sounds of steps were heard
and the creaking of stairs too.
• The author woke up his brother
Herman who looked scared to hear
the steps continuing to sound.
• The author slammed shut the door
at the stairs top.
• The sound of the slamming of the
door woke up the authors mother
who thought there were burglars
in the house.
• Mother suggested, that they call
the police but since the phone was
downstairs, she decided to request
the neighbour to do the same.
• all at the neighbour’s house were
asleep, hence she threw her shoe
at the neighbour’s window to wake
• The neighbour was Mr.Bodwell and
• mother’s throwing the shoe woke up
Mr.Bodwell who was irritated and
angry. Slide 8
• She shouted out that there were
burglars in the their house.
• At first he misunderstood thinking
that the burglars were in his
• However later Mr.Bodwell
understood and called the police
• The police came at once. The police
had to break through the thick
• They looked at everything and
• They could find no one. They
searched all over and disturbed
the entire house. They found a
zither and one of the cops began
strumming away it.
• The policemen found nothing in the
house. They heard grandfather
turning over on his bed in the attic
and rushed up.
• Grandfather was in a make believe
world and thought that these men
were general meade’s men.
• He jumped at the men, cursed
them, grabbed a gun from one of
policemen and shot at the man on
• The author and his family went up
to the attic to rescue the
policemen and locked the door with
grandfather inside the attic.
• The policemen could not find any
culprit. One of them looked at the
author suspiciously since he had
worn his mother’s blouse.
• The author then explained that
the sounds they had heard were
• In the morning, grandfather
inquired about the noise made by
the policemen and wished to know
what they had been doing in their
house the previous night?????
• Q.1. Why did the author slam shut
• q.2. why couldn’t the author’s
mother call the police?
• Q.3. What woke up Mr.Bodwell?
• Q.4. How did the policemen managed
to enter the house?
• Q.5. What type of action did the
policemen start taking once they
entered the house?
• Q.6. Why did one of the cop look at
the author suspiciously?
• Q.7. Consider about different
ending in the story. A twist at the