1. Technical SEO Face-Off How to handle some of the nastiest, most common technical SEO issues in web development & marketing.Rand Fishkin | CEO http://bit.ly/mozseotech2012
2. Redirects of All Kinds How to MoveContent, Sites, Users & Engines
3. The Classic 301http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/redirection
4. 301s Used to Be a Solution to Penaltieshttps://twitter.com/#!/klark0/status/184303676477816832
5. 301 Rewrite Rules Make Life Easierhttp://www.seomoz.org/blog/rewriterule-split-personality-explained
6. The Rel=Canonicalhttp://www.johnfdoherty.com/do-bing-and-google-treat-relcanonical-differently/
7. Cross-Domain Canonical Cross-domain canonical took <48 hours to work Whoa… Dharmesh +1’d the new domain, not the old one. Interesting.
8. The Temporary 302 If Bing crawls a 302 redirect five times, it begins to treat the 302 (temporary) redirect as if it were a permanent redirect (301). We’ve observed similar behavior from Google.Don’t use the 302 as a permanent tool/solution as engines may change how they interpret it.
9. The Meta RefreshGoogle picked up the meta refresh immediately, Bing took several months, and still displays the old URL
11. The CSS OverlayMany websites that require age/location verification use overlays to get input prior to access
12. Keyword CannibalizationHow to Get the Right PageRanking for the Right Query
13. Why Cannibalization Hurts I really wish this page was #1 for this phraseMultiple pages targeting the same keywords can cause dilution of relevancy
14. The Content Targeting Solutionhttp://pro.seomoz.org/tools/on-page-keyword-optimization
15. The Internal Linking SolutionIdentifying the links that point to the content and the anchor text they use internally can be helpful
16. The External Link Reclamation SolutionGetting external links to change their anchor text or surrounding text can help, too
17. The 301 + Re-Build Solution Page You Want Ranking Well Currently Ranking Page for This Query http://website.com/oldurl http://website.com/targetpage New Version of OldURL Take the http://website.com/newurl content from this page and recreate it here.This tactic can help when all else fails (particularly if external link signals are very strong
18. Domain Names,Subdomains & SubfoldersStructuring Sites for Maximum Marketing Effectiveness
19. Root Domains, Subdomains & Subfolders www.website.com Any positive SEO signals on www.website.com/folder/page1 these will help the others rank, too. www.website.com/otherfolder/page2 blog.website.com Positive SEO signals to this one might www.website.com/content not help this one or files.website.com/whitepaper this one.Same root domain and subfolder is almost always the way to go in SEO
22. URL StructuresThe Final Word on SEO Best Practices for URLs
23. Rules #1-2 for Great URLs #1: Make the Content Obvious from the URL Not Obvious: website.com/s/wm_bts773A Obvious: website.com/shoes/womens-boots #2: Avoid URL Parameters of Any Kind Parameters: website.com/recipe?q=chicken&t=cordon+bleu Nice & Clean: website.com/recipe/chicken-cordon-bleuIf shown without context/anchor text, the link’s content should still be obvious.
24. Rules #3-4 for Great URLs #3: Shorter is Better; Maximum of 66 Characters Too Long: website.com/cars/mercedes-benz/2009/models/sedans/c-class-coupe/full-options Just Fine: website.com/mercedes-benz/c-class-coupe #4: Separate Words with Hyphens, or + If Necessary Bad Separators: website.com/mercedes&%20benz Good Separators: website.com/mercedes-benzLong URLs get clipped, and those with bad separators may appear less-click-worthy
25. Rules #5-6 for Great URLs #5: Keywords Closer to the Front of the URL is Ideal Less Ideal: website.com/products/electronics/2275/thin-laptops More Ideal: website.com/electronics/thin-laptops #6: Keep Folder-Depth to a Minimum, Yet Still Organized Disorganized: website.com/electronics-laptops-cables-samsung-power-cord Smart Folders: website.com/electronics/laptops/samsung-power-cordNeat, clean URLs perform better in social, search, links and sharing of all kinds
26. When is Rewriting Worth It?http://www.seomoz.org/blog/bing-vs-google-prominence-of-ranking-elements
27. Absolute vs. Relative URLs <a href=“http://website.com/page>anchor text</a> When absolute URLS get scraped (especially in RSS content), the links will point back and sometimes provide a boost. <a href=“../page>anchor text</a> Relative URLs can make development and migrations easier, but don’t help with the scraping side effect on links.https://plus.google.com/u/1/104591903036738260658/posts/3XSM37yuxYL