1. Emerging SEO Opportunities Download at http://bit.ly/mozbarcelona Rand Fishkin, CEO & Co-founder, SEOmoz | September 2011
2. makes SOFTWARE!!We don’t offer any consulting.
3. Search + Social on the Web
4. Search Currently, there are more than 3 billion searches/day on GoogleData via Google’s occasional public statements and some inference (for 2006 + 2009)
5. Social Social is rising fast, butsearch is solidly in the lead. Via http://searchengineland.com/top-internet-activities-search-email-once-again- 88964
6. Evolution of Google’s Results
7. Google SERPs 1997-2007
8. Google SERPs Today
9. Google SERPs Today
10. New & Exciting Opportunities in the Search Results
11. Local/Maps Results
13. Social Annotations in the SERPs
14. How Can SEOs Take Advantage of This Evolution in Search?
15. Local/Maps Results
16. A Completely Different Algorithm Classic Links + Anchor Text Probably Won’t Help http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html
17. A Completely Different Algorithm Higher CTR Here Lower CTR Here
18. Eye-Tracking Shows Location Matters Everyone’s Eyes Went Here Via http://www.seomoz.org/blog/eyetracking-google-serps
19. Business Registration Required http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlhttp://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter?hl=es will get you added
20. Consistency of Citations is CriticalThe listings (name + address text) across differentwebsites are interpreted by Google as local “citations” The citations in local results are like links in the classic rankings – they help Places http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html listings to rank higher.
21. Discovering Listing Sources for Places: Grab 2 or more of these results and search for them together. More good ways to do this: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-research-local-citations- http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html after-google-removed-them-from-places
22. Discovering Listing Sources for Places: These websites are likely listing sources because they show 2+ of the top results. More good ways to do this: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-research-local-citations- http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html after-google-removed-them-from-places
23. For Reviews, Quantity > Quality Number of reviews usually helps rankings more than star rating!For full details, check out http://www.davidmihm.com/local-search-ranking-factors.shtml - http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlthe industry’s best resource on the topic.
24. Video XML Sitemaps & Video Results
25. The “Long Tail” of Video Sites Long tail of video sites get 50% of all online video traffic/views!http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/08/long-tail-video-half-viewing-minutes/
26. Google’s Video Results Get High CTR Sometimes, #3 can get more clicks than #1! http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html
27. Any Page with an Embedded Video Can Rank Self Hosted YouTube Hosted Embed from TED! The video doesn’t need to be self-hosted, either. It’s fine to simply have a video on the http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html page (except YouTube) and still get the video snippet.
28. Don’t Use YouTubeNone of these come from YouTube, but from independent, non-video specific sites http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlwhere a video has been embedded.
29. Video XML Sitemaps are KeyGoogle provides good information on how to do this here: http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlhttp://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=80472
30. Wistia is My Favorite Video Hosthttp://www.wistia.com will let you point the embed of the video back to your own http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlpage, creates video XML sitemaps for you and provides awesome statistics.
31. Social Annotations & Social Ranking Boosts in the SERPs
32. Rel=Author I’m guessing this gives a substantially higher click-through rate, too.Yoast has a great piece for those using Wordpress here: http://yoast.com/wordpress-rel-author-rel-me/ and this one’s good too: http://anthonyvbrunetti.com/marketing/google-rel-http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html author-infographic-how-to-implement/
33. These are results from Google’s “social” search tool (using the parameter in the lower http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlleft-hand corner in red). You must be logged into a Google+ enabled account to get this.
34. Social Annotations from Your Network in “Regular” Search Results As http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html great as http://www.everywhereist.com is, it doesn’t rank page one for this query unless I’m logged in and following Geraldine on Twitter.
35. Grow Your Social Network to Reach Searchers Geraldine’s blog is awesome, but it would never rank on page #1 for this query without the power of the social connection. Check out http://www.slideshare.net/randfish/merging-of-search-social-wappow for more on how search engines and social media are mixing together.
36. The social connections appear to influence rank ordering. http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlThese annotations undoubtedly increase CTR, particularly if the source is trusted.
37. Hang on a tic... How did they know I’m connected to Kalena on Facebook?! I haven’t yet added Facebook to my Google account!When Google starts using latent (rather than active) network connections, social http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlbecomes even more powerful.
38. Google Has Deep Social Network Spidering Notice that Google crawls through one network to discover connections 2-3 “hops” away on another. Read more here http://www.seomoz.org/blog/social-annotations-in-search-now-your-social-network-rankings and http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html see your socially connected data via http://www.google.com/s2/search/social?hl=en#socialcontent
39. Google+ is Becoming Google’s Primary Social Connector in Search Results This, sadly, means that, at least for now, mentioning someone on Plus won’t get their http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html attention the way it can on Twitter
40. +1s in Non-Personalized SERPs, Too Hello Social Proof! These +1 counts only seem to show when a page has 500 or more +1s. More - http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html http://searchengineland.com/confirmed-google-showing-1-counts-to-logged-out-users-82800
41. There are a Lot of Social Networks at ScaleUsers: 25mm 750mm 200mm 120mm 10mmUsers: 14mm Millions 14mm 6.5mm
42. Social May Not Help DirectlyWe drove more than 300 tweets to the URL http://www.xconomy.com/san- http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.htmlfrancisco/2011/05/17/hunting-hippos-optimizelys-testing-tools-bring-data-driven-web-design-to-the-masses/ but the rankings actually went down
43. But it Brings in Lots of Links +Visibility if You Grow Your Network That’s literally the only promotion I did for the blog post, and 2 months later, it ranks http:/googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html #2 for the highly competitive phrase “VC funding.”
44. Search is Bigger than Classic SEO (and the responsibilities of SEOs have been upgraded)
45. Q+ADownload at http://bit.ly/mozbarcelona You can now try SEOmoz PRO Free! Rand on the Web http://www.seomoz.org/freetrial• Twitter: @randfish• Blog: www.seomoz.org/blog• Email: email@example.com