1. How SEO Blinded Me, Then Opened My Eyes A story about the seductive power of search, and the truth about marketing channels & why people buy Rand Fishkin | CEO http://bit.ly/mozblindedbyseo
3. But, SEO Also Blinded Me.
4. I Used to Believe…
5. #1: Gets 30% oftraffic and sales#2: Gets 12% oftraffic and sales #3: Gets 7% oftraffic and sales #4: Gets 5% oftraffic and sales #5: Gets 4% oftraffic and sales
6. Step 1:Get Here Step 2: € € € €!!
7. I Used to Believe…
8. Most users see these same results in the same order.
9. Reality: Thedays of standardSERPs are over
10. I Used to Believe…
11. #1 and #2;I’m winning!
12. Reality:Rel=author + great branding means Aaron’s probably winning
13. I Used to Believe…
15. I Used to Believe…
16. If a source doesn’t send convertingvisits, it’s useless.
17. Reality: Visitorsusually have lotsof ways to get toyour site before they convert.
18. Hey Look! A Tree!
19. Oh… This is a forest.
20. Thankfully, SEO Evolved
21. No More 10Blue Links
23. Snippets are Surprisingly Sophisticated
24. Visuals CanDominate the SERPs
25. Advertising Occasionally Overwhelms Organic
26. More and More, Google’s Putting Themselves in the Results
27. No More Lengthening of the Long Tail“20 to 25% of the queries we see 15% of the searches we seetoday, we have never seen before” everyday we’ve never seen before.– Udi Manber, June 2007 - Google Facts, March 2012
29. Searches are Suggested
30. Or Presumed
31. And Influence-able
32. No More Dominationwithout a Brand "Brands are the solution, not the problem," Mr. Schmidt said. "Brands are how you sort out the cesspool.“ - Eric Schmidt, October, 2008
34. Many Searches Biasto Established Brands
35. Others Suggest the Brands Directly
36. Brands ReceivePreferential Treatment
37. Penalties and Filtersare Designed to Target Unbranded Sites
38. No More Manipulative LinkBehavior That Lasts at Scale
40. Big, Famous LinkNetworks Get Hit
41. Small, SingleSites Get Hit
42. Blog Networksare BeingShut Down
43. Directories Get Devalued
44. Google Will Lift YourPenalty Faster If You Tell Them How You Got Those Links
45. No More Search without Social
47. Google’s SocialGraph is Far LargerThan Most Believe
48. The Hardest Page to Find in Your Google Account PowersSocial Results Beyond Google+ http://www.google.com/s2/u/0/search/social
49. Email is Now a Social Influence on Search
50. Google Will Go to Great Lengths to Favor G+
51. As SEO Evolved, It Forced Me to Evolve With It
53. SEO is a Tactic
54. Inbound Marketing is a Strategy
55. BecauseLower COCA = Competitive Advantage
56. This Process Is Simple toUnderstand, Yet Hard to Execute ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY DO INBOUND MARKETING
57. Step #1:Know Today’s Customers
58. Step #2:Know Your Future Customers
59. Step #3:Create the Content Both Desire
60. Step #4:Spread Via Every Available Channel
61. Step #5:Measure, Optimize & Improve
62. SEO is Just Content,Keywords, Links & Rankings.
63. SEO is deeply connected tobroader marketing practices, andit’s just one tactic amongst many.
64. SEO. But, no strategy.
65. Strategy, but no SEO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI