1. An Overview of Central South University November, 2010
2. 1. Introduction 2. Locations and campuses 3. CSU in figures 4. Characteristics of Disciplines 5. Education 6. Scientific Research 7. Social Service 8. International Cooperation Outline
3. Central South University (CSU) was formed on April 29 th , 2000 as a big merger of three former universities: Hunan Medical University Changsha Railway University Central South University of Technology 1.Introduction
4. CSU is among the first group of key universities listed in “211” project. CSU is among the first group of top universities listed in “985” project.
5. Many top leaders of China inspected CSU and spoke highly of its achievements. Wen Jiabao ( Premier of the State Council ) Jia Qinglin ( Chairman of Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference) Wu Banguo( Chairman of National People’s Congress)
6. Top 20 universities in terms of overall assessment Top 10 in terms of research achievements Top 6 in terms of student number Rankings In addition, CSU’s medical school was founded in 1914, the first university teaching Western medicine in China.
7. 2.Locations and campuses
10. 3. CSU in figures Total area 3.3 million ㎡ Campuses 6 Faculty 20,000 Student 52,400 Undergraduate: 33,114 postgraduate: 18,796 Colleges (Schools) 30 Programs Bachelor 83, Master 282, PhD.142
11. Fields of Study The fields of study at CSU cover 10 branches of learning, namely engineering , science, medicine , management, literature, law, economics, philosophy, education and history.
12. CSU has formed its own characteristics in non-ferrous metals, medical science, and railway transportation. 4. Characteristics of disciplines National key Disciplines 25
13. CSU has very strong metallurgical and non-ferrous materials programs, playing a big role in the development of China.
14. CSU has a history of 104 years of medical service and education, well known as “Xiangya (Medical University ） is the best in South (China)”.
15. CSU has involved in all the researches on high-speed train external appearance design, streamline structure design and aerodynamics in train transportation in China. President Hu talks with Mr. Sun Yongfu, an alumni of CSU and CEO of the Beijing-Tibet railway construction company
16. Prestigious scholars There are 15 academicians in CSU, ranking the 6 th in China and the 1 st in Hunan. 5 Education
17. <ul><li>Thirty-four courses were among the National Elaborate Courses, ranking 7 th in China. </li></ul><ul><li>Five teachers are national Famous Teachers of Higher Education, ranking 8 th in China. </li></ul><ul><li>Fourteen doctoral dissertations were awarded the “National Top 100 Doctoral Dissertations”, ranking 12 th in China. </li></ul>
18. RMB 502 mil. Yuan in 2003, over RMB 600 mil. Yuan in 2004, RMB 650 mil. Yuan in 2005, RMB 700 mil. Yuan in 2006, RMB 800 mil. Yuan in 2008, exceeding RMB1bil. yuan in 2009 Research funds 6. Scientific Research
19. Research Projects in recent years year Sci. foundation Govert.proj. Industry proj. total 07 137 385 179 661 08 203 450 120 773 09 316 428 268 1002
20. Six “973” programs were hosted by CSU Scientists The basic research of improving aluminum quality The basic Research on Bio- Metallurgy
21. During the past 8 years, 7 important achievements have been listed on the honored Chinese Higher Education Top Ten Scientific & Technological Achievements , ranking 2nd in Chinese universities. 48 achievements have won national scientific and technological prizes since 2000 . Research achievements
22. In 2007, The basic research of improving aluminum quality won the first prize of National Scientific and Technological Progress Award In 2004, the “ fabrication of high-performance carbon-carbon composite braking materials for application in airplane ”won the first prize of the State Technological Invention Award . In 2000, the new mineral processing for nonferrous metals won the first prize of National Scientific and Technological Progress Award 3 Top National Sci&Tech Awards
23. With Shandong Province With Sany groups (34 million for co-research) 7.Social Services Cooperative ties with more than 300 enterprises and central government departments or regional governments have been Established all over China With Qinghai Province With Chalco groups (100 million for co-research)
24. 8 . International cooperation <ul><li>Cooperative ties with 201 universities and research </li></ul><ul><li>institutions in more than 30 countries. </li></ul><ul><li>1360 personnel exchanges per year. </li></ul><ul><li>300 foreign teachers and experts per year. </li></ul><ul><li>more than 40 international academic conferences per year. </li></ul><ul><li>Nearly 800 international students from more than 30 countries and regions studying at CSU </li></ul>