Open stack neutron and opendaylightPresentation Transcript
OpenStack Neutron and
OS Neutron and Controllers
• Personal views from attending the summit
– Networking in OS has kind of been neglected but is a critical
piece for success of cloud orchestration (people still using nova-
network because of lack of features in neutron).
– OS Neutron scalability issues and single point of failure with the
Network Node seems to be major pain point of community.
– Neutron implementation in OpenStack is a reference
implementation and not meant to scale.
– Think of neutron as providing a common API similar to what
nova does and not a network controller in itself.
– Talking to integrators: Any deployment of scale (>1000VMs)
needs a controller because neutron cannot handle the scale.
– Integration with NSX or Ryu or Contrail seemed most common
in deployment today.
• Open Source SDN platform designed to provide a
modular framework to program network
elements (Both virtual and physical)
• Collaborative project under the Linux Foundation
• ODL provides:
– common abstractions of capabilities via NorthBound
– framework to implement business logic for
programming network elements
– standard and custom south-bound APIs to connect to
Go to: http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/slides/slides-88-netconf-3.pdf for more
detailed architecture diagram
ODL and OS – match made in heaven?
• ODL is a OpenSource project much like OS
– Emerged from the need for an OpenSource
alternative to walled gardens
• Vibrant developer community that is
• Lot of developer interaction between the OS-
Neutron and ODL community.
• Lot of companies involved actively in both
OS-ODL integration in IceHouse
• ML2 mechanism driver in
OpenStack IceHouse to
connect to ODL (support
for VxLAN and GRE)
• Neutron Service: Common
shim that receives the
• In Hydrogen release, 3
plugins consume the data.
– Only one of the 3 can be
Sample architecture with OVSDB
If interested: Local meetup group on OpenDaylight (rtp-opendaylight)