1. “Kinect for Xbox 360 is changing the game.Well, it’s changing how you play games. And howyou watch TV. And movies. And listen to music.Because with Kinect, there are no controllers. Orremotes. There’s just you. And if you ask us, that’sall you need.”
2. Description of Technology Motion-sensing input device by Microsoft Kinect builds on software technology and on range camera technology Runs on a system that can interpret specific gestures, making completely hands-free control of electronic devices possible Uses an infrared projector and camera and a special microchip to track the movement of objects and individuals in three dimension
3. Description of Technology The device features a camera, depth sensor and multi-array microphone The sensing range of the depth sensor is adjustable, and the Kinect software is capable of automatically calibrating the sensor based on the players physical environment
4. Kinect uses a motion sensor that tracks your entire body. So whenyou play, it’s not only about your hands and wrists. It’s about all of you. Arms, legs, knees, waist, hips and so on.
5. As you play, Kinect creates a digital skeleton of you based on depth data. So when you move left or right or jumparound, the sensor will capture it and put you in the game.
6. Kinect ID remembers who you are by collecting physical data that’sstored in your profile. So when you want to play again, Kinect will know it’s you, making it easy to jump in whenever you want.
7. Kinect uses four strategically placed microphones within the sensor to recognize and separate your voice from the othernoises in the room, so you can control movies and more with your voice.
9. Objectives: History of the technology Development State of Kinect at its release Current state of Kinect
10. Kinect’s Tech History The technology behind Kinect was developed in 2005 by Zeev Zalesky, Alexander Shpunt, Aviad Maizels and Javier Garcia Kinect’s technology categorized under the field of optics
11. Development Announced June 1, 2009 under code name “Project Natal” Initial demonstration could recognize 4 people and 48 skeletal points per person Official name Kinect announced June 13, 2010
12. Development (cont.) Official Kinect for Xbox 360 released on November 4, 2010 February 1, 2012: Kinect hardware and software designed for PC, released.
13. State of Kinect at Release From production to launch, Kinect cost Microsoft $500 million Received average reviews from renowned game reviewers like IGN Cost and space required for use as main problems Games were developed that mostly tracked hand and leg movements Geared toward casual gamers, focused on getting people active
14. Current State of Kinect Fun Labs: finger tracking, 3D painting, scanning in yourself and real word objects Use of similar technology in PCs
16. Objectives: Explain current uses Explain technology being developed to expand the uses Explore 3rd Party Development
17. Current Uses Gaming: full body movement, family fun Voice commands and facial recognition PC: Very limited and almost brand new Item scanning, more expensive version Detects more intricate hand movements, focused on education and robotics companies.
18. Future Uses Expanding functionality with computers similar to MS Surface
19. Future Uses (cont.) Hands on educational demonstrations similar to MS Surface but more cost-effective Focus on work that requires gloved hands and simultaneous PC use to make work more efficient and streamlined Military uses: One to One movement makes robotic soldiers a not so distant possibility Medical field: Not just for use by collaborating doctors but also for patients.
20. 3rd Party DevelopmentThe hardware is being improved; the real areas that are being focused on by 3rd party developers are the software used in conjunction with Kinect
21. No controllers or remotes Fitness (uses full body) Something for everyone! (all ages) Voice RecognitionMedical: helps children with autism and patients who have suffered strokes
22. Drawbacks of Microsoft Kinect Requires Space Relatively new: limited gamesFamily play: can’t support more than 2 people Cost: $150 for the sensor and Xbox is $200
23. Discussion!!! With all of the potential future uses, is there one particular area (i.e, Education, Military) that you see benefitting the most from Kinect? Is there any way you see a bad effect for society with the use of Kinect? Do you feel uncomfortable that when you use Kinect, your room is filled with invisible infrared dots?