1. WELCOME TO…• CPD PROJECT……• PROJECTED BY• PAL RAJENDRA• B.E. SECOND SEM.• PROJECT NAME• RAJARAM MOHAN ROY • MAHAVIR SWAMI COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY
2. INTRODUCTIONRaja Rammohan Roy has come to be called the ‘Maker of Modern India’. Without giving up what was good and noble in the past, he laid the foundations for a great future.
3. RAJA RAM MOHAN ROYBIRTH DATE : May 22, 1772MOTHER NAME :TariniFATHER NAME :Ramkanto RoyVILLAGE : RadhanagarDISTRICT : HooghlyCOUNTRY : BengalDEATH : September 27, 1833
4. BASIC INFORMATION ……..Raja Ram Mohan Roy was born on May 22, 1772 in village Radhanagar inthe District of Hooghly in Bengal. His father Ramkanto Roy, was aVaishnavite, while his mother, Tarini, was from a Shakta background.Raja Ram Mohun Roy was sent to Patna for higher studies. By the age offifteen, Raja Rammohun Roy had learnt Bangla, Persian, Arabic andSanskrit.
5. CONTINUOUS…..Raja Ram Mohan Roy was against idol worship and orthodoxHindu rituals. He stood firmly against all sort of socialbigotry, conservatism and superstitions. But his father wasan orthodox Hindu Brahmin. This led to differences betweenRaja Ram Mohan Roy and his father. Following differences heleft the house . He wandered around Himalayas and went toTibet. He traveled widely before returning home.CONTINUOUS…….
6. CONTINUOUS….After his return Raja Ram Mohan Roys family married him inthe hope that he would change. But this did not have anyeffect on him. Raja Ram Mohan Roy went to Varanasi andstudied the Vedas, the Upanishads and Hindu philosophydeeply. When his father died in 1803 he returned toMurshidabad. He then worked as a moneylender in Calcutta,and from 1809 to 1814, he served in the Revenue Departmentof the East India Company.
7. ATMIYA SABHAIn 1814, Raja Ram Mohan Roy formed Atmiya Sabha. AtmiyaSabha tried to initiate social and religious reforms in thesociety. Raja Ram Mohan Roy campaigned for rights forwomen, including the right for widows to remarry, and theright for women to hold property. He actively opposedSati system and the practice of polygamy.
8. EDUCATION SUPPORT.He also supported education, particularly educationof women. He believed that English-languageeducation was superior to the traditional Indianeducation system, and he opposed the use ofgovernment funds to support schools teachingSanskrit. In 1822, he founded a school based on Englisheducation.
9. BRAMHA SAMAJIn 1828, Raja Ram Mohan Roy founded the BrahmaSamaj. Through Brahma Samaj, he wanted to exposethe religious hypocrisies and check the growinginfluence of Christianity on the Hindu society. RajaRam Mohan Roys efforts bore fruit when in 1829, theSati system was abolished.
10. DEATH OF RAJA RAM MOHAN ROYIn November 1830 Ram Mohan Roy traveled to the UnitedKingdom as an ambassador of the Mughal emperor toplead for his pension and allowances. Raja Ram MohanRoy passed away on September 27, 1833 at Stapletonnear Bristol due to meningitis.