GENERAL PLANNING AND WORKING OF THEMAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT• Planning of machinery well in advance as per the style• Arranging machines for the batch setting well in advance• Providing work aids/folders during setting batch to enhance productivity and quality• Reducing of machine down time to meet timely shipment.
UP KEEPING THE MACHINE AND REGULARMAINTENANCE TASKS• Maintain machines in peak condition by carrying out scheduled maintenance.• Use genuine spare parts for longer life and also to avoid frequent failures• Follow up with Planning and IED regarding the future styles and start preparing the attachments and planning the machines.• In case of failures maintain sufficient spare and machine back up.
DETAILED ACTIVITIES OF THE MAINTENANCEDEPARTMENT:• Coordinating with the Planning and the I.E department regarding the type of style running in the batches (sewing lines). On the basis of the change of the product requirement, the new machines required are worked out by this section.• On the basis of the change in the product specifications, the machinery requirements are bound to change. This section works out the changes to be brought in the batches.
DETAILED ACTIVITIES OF THE MAINTENANCEDEPARTMENT:• Installation of the new machines whenever required in the plant• Planning the type of machine to be positioned in the line on the basis of the line plan provided to them by the IE department.• Verifies the data, check the availability of machines in any of other units.• Receives the machine to be attended from the production floor with details of the problem faced and nature of breakdown and record same in breakdown register.
DETAILED ACTIVITIES OF THE MAINTENANCEDEPARTMENT:• Keeps all the machines in particular bay for easy identification• Responsible for keeping record of all inward/outward and serviced machines• In case of folders or attachments IED gives the style bulletin at least a week in advance.• The Maintenance store will keep Inventory of machine spares with proper record.
DETAILED ACTIVITIES OF THE MAINTENANCEDEPARTMENT:• Inventory Management of the spare parts in the stores.• Receive information for sampling section also, regarding the requirements of some machines which are not available with the company.• Allot 1 mechanic for every 2 batches, who has to be present throughout the day for the production related problems with the machines.• Arrange for the replacement of the machine in case of machine breakdown
BASIC ACTIVITIES REQUIRED TO BE DONE FOR THE GENERAL PLANNINGAND WORKING OF THE MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT
S.NO. ACTIVITY Planning of machinery well in advance as per the 1. PPC plan style wise. Arranging machines for the batch setting well in 2. advance as per the IED bulletin for the styles, indicating the machine requirements for the line. Providing work aids/folders during setting batch to 3. enhance productivity and quality Reducing of machine down time to meet timely 4. shipment Standardization of spare parts (genuine) to obtain 5. good quality seam and good performance of m/c
ACTIVITIES REQUIRED FOR THE UPKEEP OF THE MACHINES AND REGULAR MAINTENANCE TASKS
S.NO. ACTIVITY Maintain machines in peak condition by carrying 1. out AM (Autonomous Maintenance), PM (Preventive Maintenance) and scheduled maintenance. Use genuine spare parts for longer life and also to 2. avoid frequent failures. Follow up with PPC and IED regarding the future 3. styles and start preparing the attachments and planning the machines. In case of failures maintain sufficient spare and 4. machine back up.
ACTIVITIES DONE FOR THE CONTINUOUSIMPROVEMENT OF THE PROCESSES ON THE SEWING LINE
S.NO. ACTIVITY Reducing the batch setting time by proper 1. planning of machines Optimize the utility of UBT machines and avoid 2. the usage of manual trimming by avoiding the thread wastage and time Use only cone thread instead of tube thread to 3. avoid loose stitch, frequent thread exhaustion and m/c stoppage for each thread changeover Identify the machine running in lesser RPM and 4. synchronize the speed Train the mechanics to counter the tasks with out 5. delay in reducing the m/c down time
ACTIVITIES REQUIRED FOR THEINTERACTION AND TRAINING OF THE WORKERS AND ASSOCIATES
S.NO. ACTIVITY Have one to one interaction with the associates 1. and understand their problem and counsel. Take the team for outing after each goal setting 2. and upon achieving the same Provide education and training to the associate 3. according to the required skill Recognize the work of the each and every 4. associate and if he is found competitive promote him A token of appreciation should be given for each 5. developmental work or innovations
TOTAL PRODUCTIVE MAINTAINANCE “TPM is a plant improvement methodology which enables continuous and rapid improvement of the manufacturing process through use of employee involvement, employee empowerment and closed loop measurement of results”
GOALS SET UP BY THE T.P.M. DEPARTMENT•Reducing batch setting time from existing 8 hrs to 6hrs.•Conducting the skill test for all mechanics andelectricians.•Checking and synchronizing the m/.c speed anddrives.•Set up machine overhauling team and eliminate extraworking of mechanics.•Understand the problems of the associates and providethe solutions
SUB DEPARTMENTS AND DETAILED ACTIVITIES OF THE TPM DEPARTMENT1. CENTRAL MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT:• Coordinating with the Central Planning and theCentral I.E department regarding the type of stylerunning in the batches (sewing lines). On the basis ofthe change of the product requirement, the newmachines required are worked out by this section ofthe CMD.• On the basis of the change in the productspecifications, the machinery requirements are boundto change. This section works out the changes to bebrought in the batches.
• Installation of the new machines whenever required inthe plant•Planning the type of machine to be positioned in theline on the basis of the line plan provided to them by theCentral IE department.•CMD will verify the data, check the availability ofmachines in any of other units or at the least on rentalbasis and then will confirm the same to IED.•CMD will receive machine to be attended from theproduction floor with details of the problem faced andnature of breakdown and record same in breakdownregister.
• CMD will consume time for breakdown maintenanceaccording to the nature of breakdown. If it is minortechnician will take Max. 15 to 20 Minutes. If it is majortechnician will take Max. 1 day.•CMD will receive all the new machines ordered due tonew requirements arising and on arrival ofconsignment, the department will call the franchise forinstallation and commissioning. After commissioning, itwill obtain ID and Barcode Numbers from B.I (BusinessIntelligence).•CMD will keep all the machines in particular bay foreasy identification.•CMD is responsible for keeping record of allinward/outward and serviced machines.
• CMD is having responsible for recruiting traineemechanics by giving theoretical and practical test &decide to locate the recruited mechanic for productionfloor after judging his caliber.• In case of folders or attachments IED gives thestyle bulletin at least a week in advance. This applieseven for die sets.• The Maintenance store will keep Inventory ofmachine spares with proper record. This store alsocomes under the CMD Head• Inventory Management of the spare parts in thestores
• Receive information fro sampling sectionalso, regarding the requirements of some machineswhich are not available with the company.• Further the machine operators are trained to clean andcheck their machines daily under “AutonomousMaintenance Program.”• An AM Clock is attached to all the machines. Theactivities are Initial Cleaning, Implement Counter Measures, Preparation for Standardization [Cleaning, Oiling and Tightening], General Inspection, Autonomous Inspection, Standardization and Autonomous Management
2. BATCH MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT:• Coordinating with the CMD in times of style changeover.•Allot 1 mechanic for every 2 batches, who has to bepresent throughout the day for the production relatedproblems with the machines.•Carrying out Autonomous Breakdown maintenancefor the machines.•Send the machine to the Central MaintenanceDepartment in case the machine breakdown is notrepaired on the floor itself. Side by side, arrange for thereplacement of the machine by preparing an IOM(Indent of Materials) and sending it to the CMD.
•Training tailors and other operators for the AutonomousMaintenance and Preventive Maintenance.•Machine settings changes according to the fabric typeand the style running•Inspect tools and cord periodically, and if damaged haveit replaced by an authorized service agent.•Ensure the oil tank cleaning, and check oil level and oilcondition of the machine.•The Spot Washing Machine is maintained daily bycleaning, Belt tension checking, and Oil level checked, Airleakage attended, loose connections rectified, Steamleakage attended and noise level maintained.
CONCLUSION• This department is not just a maintenance department as its name suggests.• The department in fact plans and makes the required machinery available on time.• The company also boasts of its own unique Folders and Attachments fabrication unit wherein the required work aids are 100% fabricated from metal sheets. These attachments are a lot economical than those purchased from the specialized suppliers.
CONCLUSION• Major area of focus for the department are: plant improvement methodology continuous and rapid improvement employee involvementPLANT IMPROVEMENT METHODOLOGY:TPM is a method for bringing about change. It is a set of structured activities that can lead to improved management of plant assets when properly performed by individuals and team
CONCLUSION• CONTINUOUS AND RAPID IMPROVEMENT: A critical aspect of TPM is that improvement should be rapid as well as continuous. To attain or maintain a leadership position in industry, a company must continuously improve at a rate that is faster than that of its competition. Performance targets must be dynamic, not static. • EMPLOYEE INVOLVEMENT It is necessary part of TPM process. The goal is to tap into the expertise and creative capabilities of the entire plant or facility through the use of small group activities. They have a heightened role in defining their job content, along with work systems and procedures.