Welcome to this presentation on building an efficient workplace. We have noticed that organizations who use our technology land up making their workspace more efficient, so let us see what you need to do and what others have done to make their workplace more efficient by using Newgen technologies.
Let us understand who are we. We are in the business of ECM and BPM for the past 19 years. We have more than 800 installations around the world and out of them around 100 will be of mission critical in nature. Some of our installations are real big. It will not be wrong to say that some of them are easily among the biggest installations in the world, proving how robust and scalable our solutions are. We are aiming to set up a partner network in 40 focussed countries around the world. As we speak, the team is negotiating with partners in 20 countries on the modalities and the way forward. In many of these countries we already have a partner or two.
Newgen is among the five companies in the world which is there in the magic quadrant of gartner for ECM and BPM. We happen to be the only company from Asia pacific to be there in this list. The diagram in the right talks about the ECM magic quadrant as this presentation is for the three shrink wrapped products which are part of our ECM Suite.
Let us start with OmniScan. The batch scanning, indexing and image enhancement solution. Our years of experience in this field has taught us that effective scanning of documents is more then just putting papers in the Auto Document Feeder and getting them scanned. It involves planning for the scanning work, scanning them with some image enhancement features with inbuilt quality check in the software, as you can get unwanted image quality issues during scanning. One has to then index the documents for easy retrieval later once they get uploaded in a DMS, which can be then viewed via internet or intranet. The best practices suggests that maintaining the quality of the image and using the correct set of words for indexing can be the differentiating factor when the number of documents increase in the database. OmniScan can help you achieve this in an automated manner.
Let us try to see this in some more details. The first step is to prepare documents for scanning. Sort the documents in pre defined sequence inserting a blank page to act as separator. This helps in putting the documents in different subfolders for easy management. You can make this as an automated process in OmniScan. With the help of a separator OmniScan can judge and know that now it needs to put the next set of documents into a different subfolder and it will do that automatically. Once the sorting and sets are complete, the scanning will be done by OmniScan.
This is how the scanned image will look like in OmniScan. The images will become part of the queue for indexing. In the bottom left hand side you can see the way one can define the pre defined document sequencing for auto transfer of the documents to the folders and subfolders. Similarly on the left top side you can enter the fields for indexing of the documents. You can define less number of fields too if you wish. Once scanned the document can be then made available to any DMS. It can be OmniDocs, it can be Sharepoint or it can be for SAP. Even any other DMS can actually pick the data if they wish.
Once the scanned and indexed data gets uploaded in the DMS, the organization can start using the data.
During this activity the OmniScan will automatically provide de-skew support for slightly tilted images or will remove the unwanted border lines which came up as a result of scanning a photocopied document etc etc. . We call this auto quality management. There are various other features which helps in improving your overall scanning experience and improves the throughput.
Now let us move to the document management solution from Newgen known as OmniDocs. This is an enterprise class document management system designed to scale up as per the needs of the organization. Kindly note that one of the biggest document management solution involving close to 7 billion documents runs on OmniDocs. On the left side one can view the different folders which an user has defined, in the centre one can see the documents of a given folder on which the user wants to work and on the right side one can see the various document operations a user can perform on a given document. In the Check in - check out function when some one opens a document for editing, the specific document gets locked. Once the changes are made, it gets saved as a different version with the details of the user who has made the change along with the date and time when the change was made. One can now see the previous document as well as the document after incorporation of the changes. Different rights to different users on folders as well as on documents can be given depending on the usage or security requirement of the organization.
We have provided Optical Character Recognition based Full text search as a default feature in OmniDocs. Apart from the index words which one would have used to identify the document, one can also search based on create date, modify date, document name etc. the aim is to make searching a document simpler. One can even create a custom search and save it for regular usage if one wishes.
This is how the document will look like when you view it in the viewer. You can carry out multiple view operations including applying annotations and notes. One can now print a document with annotation or without annotation and notes too. All these annotations and notes are secured and can be modified and deleted only by authorised users.
In this slide we have taken examples of few small users of OmniDocs and OmniScan. As most of these users have bought five users to 20 users license, the cost has remained low. Some of them installed the software in their existing hardware infrastructure reducing the overall budget requirement to acquire a solution like this. The aim of this slide is to help organizations understand that almost all departments in most organizations can benefit by using these technologies. To explain this let us take few examples of where people are using OmniScan and OmniDocs for managing their day to day activities. Instead of taking their company names we have preferred to tell you the industry they belong so that some of you can relate to that and see how organizations in different business areas can use solutions like this. A global entertainment organization uses OmniDocs to archive all financial documents and all agreements which they sign up with various organizations on regular basis. For them the contracts are the lifeline of their business. They keep the original document away at a safer place and use the scanned image for their day to day activities. A Real Estate organization uses it to scan and store all documents starting from booking of the apartment to the final possesion of the appartment. They manage information of all their customers using OmniDocs. A Police setup uses the solution to store information about people, events and organizations whom they want to track over a given period of time. This is a combination of paper clipping, articles in magazines or simple and plain reports written by the police staff. This repository is then being referred as and when needed. Every police station around the world needs a solution like this. A Paints and Chemicals organization uses the solution to manage the process documents and to manage some of their confidential documents where they want the originals to be kept in safe custody at a safe location.
Let us try to understand few more such kind of organizations who can use OmniDocs and OmniScan. A Bank is using it to manage their Vendor PO’s as well as to manage the documents for quality surveillance audits. For that matter any NBFC which needs to maintain customer records for disbursement of loan or for account opening or closing can use this solution. In simple words a solution like this is almost mandatory for any banking or non banking financial institution. It does not matter in which part of the world they are.One of the reputed management institutes uses OmniDocs to manage clippings of important articles and case studies which are then referred by the students in their free time from their respective hostel rooms or from the library. Similarly one boarding school tracks all important information about the students in their institute from the time they take admission to their last day in the school, covering even their medical records. This comes handy when some one wants to refer to the history of the student in the institute. Again you do not have to be the most reputed boarding school to have a solution like this to help the parents get a quick view. Any good institute can provide this information in a jiffy, if they wish to do so without any loss of time and without getting into any unwanted chaos.A telecom company uses OmniDocs to manage customer application form as maintaining customer details has become mandatory. There is another telecom company which uses the same solution for a different kind of application. They manage all invoices and HR related documents.
Let us now move to the SAP Imaging solution. Employees from different parts of the organization access SAP system for various transactions. This includes addition and deletion of information too. These information are based on certain documents or transactions.
The documents generally move physically between various employees. They can move between various employee departments who can be located at different physical locations.
This means manual paper handling leading to document duplication at times, long hold or wait period, difficulty in linking between related issues apart from wastage of precious time and issues in audit and compliance. The list of problems is quite long actually.
To overcome this some organizations attach electronic copies of document to their SAP system. Let us take this example of a live case where we did a small case study to understand the pain point. This organization had a data size of 156 GB when they were only managing transaction data in the database server of SAP. They decided to add images too to improve overall efficiency of the organization.
To their surprise this lead to increase in database server and reduction in performance. The 156 GB database becoame 15.9 terra byte making the database real huge. This started effecting the performance of the database .
This lead to drastic reduction in database performance. This process also does not allow non SAP documents to be stored in the same server as you are using a SAP user to store and retrieve documents related to SAP transactions only. This also means that documents are accessible only through SAP GUI creating operational issues in the organization.
Newgen can help here. With the help of the SAP certified Newgen’s Document archival connector, one can simply attach documents with various SAP Business Objects. These documents get stored in the backend Document archival system as mentioned in the diagram.
This means your transaction database remains leaner without compromising on the business aspect of managing the documents.
With the help of the indexed data the documents gets directly linked to the designated SAP business objects.
The SAP user on a click can view the documents from SAP GUI. The document gets fetched from Newgens document archival system using the certified SAP connector. As the given document is attached to the defined transaction hence the defined document only opens up on the click of a mouse.One can buy licenses from OmniDocs and can now also attach or view non SAP documents too using the Newgen document management GUI. This way the same document management software can be now used for scanning and managing the other documents of the enterprise too.
We have taken two examples of SAP Image enablement usage. These are live cases. In the first one we are talking about a sales setup selling earth moving equipments and in the second one we are talking about a manufacturing organization having 32 offices. In both the cases SAP helped in streamlining the business and now the customer wanted to add the document management also as part of it to increase the business efficiency even further. We have successfully deployed the solution in both these segments.
To ensure that customers around the world can now make use of these wonderful products and solutions we have Newgen has set up the channel practice. We have created a partner portal where we have uploaded the needed information for partners to sell and support the products. We will soon announce our certification programs for technical and sales resources so that these partners can use these knowledge base to serve the customers even better. I must say that we are happy to see the response from the partners across the globe.
Thank you for your time and thank you for the patient hearing. If you have any queries do write to us or call us up and let us talk Organizational efficiency. Goodbye and goodluck.
1. Building Efficient WorkplaceCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 1
2. Newgen at A Glance More than 19 Years of Business Process Management, Document Management & Imaging Experience More than 800 BPM & DMS installations across 40 countries 100 mission-critical Cross-Industry deployments. Credited with some of the world’s largest deployments. Among the top 5 organizations in the world to be in the magic quadrant of Gartner for ECM and BPM Aiming to setup partner network in 40 countries InvestorsCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 2
3. Rare Product company to be in both ECM& BPM Magic Quadrants ECM MQ 2010 “Newgen has developed a strong presence in EMEA as a vendor of transactional content platforms for large financial services institutions and business process outsourcers. Strong leadership and key accounts management, relevant technology and a services partner program that is paying global dividends ….” Source: Gartner ECM MQ 2010 BPM MQ 2010 “Newgen brings strong support for content interactions within the process (due to its heritage in the ECM market). •OmniFlow is proved for large- volume, document-centric workflows. •Newgen has a good focus on and an understanding of BPM needs in emerging geographies. •Newgen consultants are well-trained in the design and architecture of solutions using Newgens BPMS.” Source: Gartner BPMS MQ 2010Company Confidential. Copyright 2011 3
4. Global Installation Base The Americas Middle East USA Bahrain Oman Bermuda Qatar Saudi Arabia Caribbean Jordan Kuwait Mexico UAE Asia Africa Malaysia China Egypt Namibia Pakistan Hong Kong Ghana Nigeria Philippines India Kenya South Africa Indonesia Japan Libya Tanzania Singapore Thailand Mauritius Australia Newzealand Europe Austria Germany Cyprus Lithuania Czech Slovakia Denmark UK FinlandCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 4
5. Some of Our Customers Banking & Finance Insurance BPO & Shared Services Telecom OthersCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 5
6. Newgen’s Shrink Wrap Products Scanning & Distributed Capture Tool for bulk & distributed scanning of paper documents. OmniScan can carry out scanning of documents in bulk in form of batches and export them to OmniDocs. Document Management System Platform for enterprise document archival & record management. SAP Image Enablement Connector SAP Connector to associate Images stored in DMS with SAP Objects. Associated Images can be accessed from SAP GUI.Company Confidential. Copyright 2011 6
7. OmniScan – Batch Scanning, indexing and image enhancement 0 Prepare for Scanning (Sorting) Electronic Document Images/Pre-Scanned Document Images 2 Indexing 3 Upload to DMS Server OmniDocs Users View Documents Server Users View Documents Intranet InternetCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 7
8. 0 Prepare for Scanning (Sorting) At Scan Station, it is recommended that scanning agents sorts the documents in pre defined sequence. Blank Page Separator Scanning agents can also insert blank page separators between sets of each document type. The same logic of document sequencing and blank page separator can be built in OmniScan for auto separation of documents Once the sorting and sets are complete, the Scanning will be performed using Newgen OmniScanCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 8
9. 0 Prepare for Scanning (Sorting)Company Confidential. Copyright 2011 9
10. 0 Prepare for Scanning (Sorting) Scanned images will be queued in OmniScan for Indexing Auto allocation of documents as per the pre-defined document sequencing Indexing form Thereafter Images can be directly exported to OmniDocs (DMS Server). The export can be configured to be in TIFF or PDF format.Company Confidential. Copyright 2011 10
11. 0 Prepare for Scanning (Sorting) Secured Storage OmniDocs OmniScan Server Scanned Documents along with Indexed Data is Uploaded to OmniDocs (Document Management System)Company Confidential. Copyright 2011 11
12. Image Cleaning and Enhancement • Auto/manual De-skew support • Automatic removal of speckles from image • Removal of unwanted border as a result of scanning a photocopied document • Rotation of images from landscape to portrait • Removal of horizontal and vertical lines of given thicknessCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 12
13. OmniDocs – End User Desktop  File Documents in Folder Hierarchy.  Document Operations like Add, Modify, Delete etc.  Check-In, Check-Out & Versioning.  Rights on Folders & Documents.Company Confidential. Copyright 2011 13
14. OmniDocs - Search  Also Search on Document Properties like modified date, created date, accessed date, document name, author, keywords and owner and size etc. 14Company Confidential. Copyright 2011
15. OmniDocs Document - Viewer  View Document’s generic properties, data class indexes.  Apply Annotations & NotesCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 15
16. Enterprise class scalability & Multilingual support N-Tier Architecture, Scalable as Users & Load Increases Storage Application Storage Server Database Storage Storage Application Storage Server Database Storage Storage Application Multi Lingual – Server Storage Database Unicode Compliant StorageCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 16
17. Starting Point : Using OmniScan & OmniDocs Global Entertainment Organization : Use it for archival of Financial documents, legal documents, vendor related documents, lease agreements, contract documents. Product : 20 User license of OmniDocs and OmniScan for six years now A Real Estate organization – They are builders and into real estate business. All documents starting from booking to possession gets scanned and stored for reference. Product: 5 User OmniScan and OmniDocs for the past two years NGO in Wild Life : This is for keeping track of all paper clippings for future reference. Product: 5 user license of OmniDocs and OmniScan for past 3 years. Police Organization –Store information on people whom they want to track over a given period of time. Also track important events Product : 5 User License of OmniScan and OmniDocs for the last 6 years Paints and Chemicals: Manuals of different processes and managing confidential documents. Product : 20 User License of OmniDocs and OmniScanCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 17
18. Starting Point – Using OmniScan & OmniDocs A Bank : Scan and store the vendor PO’s. Managing documents for quality surveillance audit. Product : 5 user license of OmniDocs and OmniScan Any Banking or Non Banking Financial Institution : Information related to KYC (Know your Customer), Account Opening, Loan Documents Product : 5 user license of OmniDocs and OmniScan. Management Institute : Manage clippings of important articles and allow the students to view them sitting across the campus. Product : 50 user of OmniDocs since 2003. Boarding School : They store all students history and maintain that for future reference. This also includes their medical history. Product : 10 User license of OmniScan and OmniDocs since 2003. Telecom : Invoices and all HR related documents are archived. Product : 10 user license of OmniDocs and OmniScan since 2008. Telecom : They basically manage CAF – customer application form through this. Product : 10 user license of OmniScan and OmniDocs since 2004.Company Confidential. Copyright 2011 18
19. Employees from differentDepartments access SAP System for various Transactions
20. Production These Documents generally move Physically between various EmployeesPurchase Departments Finance & Accounts Quality
21. Challenges• Manual paper handling• Time & Resource Wastage• Long Hold or Wait periods• Documents Duplication• Documents are lost or stolen• Documents are Misfiled• Audit & Compliance Issues• Difficult to search and retrievedocuments• Difficult to link related documents• Wastage of resources in documentcopying & distribution to multiplepeople• Time consuming & rigorousdocument tracking
22. To over come these, some Database Health Checkorganizations Attach electronic copies of documents to their Processor Speed SAP system. System Load Database Size 156.9 GB
23. But this can increase the size of Database servers. Database Health Check Processor Speed System Load Database Size 15.9 TB And Reduce the Performance Drastically
24. Challenges Database• Huge Databases Size Health Check• Drastic reduction in Database Processor Speedperformance• Inability to retain older data Online forlonger periods System Load• Long & Slower Database Backups• Direct increase in Back Up Cost(Tape Drives etc) Database Size• Documents are accessible onlythrough SAP GUI 15.9 TB• Tedious process of one-by-onelinking documents by individuals• Inability to store Non-SAPdocuments.• No provision for Departments notusing SAP.
25. With Newgen’s Document DocumentArchival System for SAP, users Archival System can simply attach documents with various SAP Business Objects SAP Certified Connector But all the documents will be stored in the Backend Document Archival System
26. Document Archival SystemThus Leveraging Faster and Leaner Database SAP Certified Database Connector Health Check Processor Speed System Load Database Size 156.9 GB
27. Document Based on the indexed Data, thedocuments get directly linked to Archival System designated SAP Business Objects SAP Certified Connector
28. Apart from viewing Documentsfrom SAP GUI, authorized Userscan even directly Search, View & Attach documents from Document Newgen Document Archival Archival System System’s GUI
29. Starting Point – Using SAP Image Connector Organization selling Earth Moving Equipments : Managing order processing and Vendor payment process. Linked it with SAP to see the documents on a click. Scanning is done at multiple locations and viewing of the same can be done in the department concerned. Productivity of the sales team went up and errors in delivery and vendor payment reduced. Product : OmniDocs , OmniScan and SAP Image Enablement Manufacturing Organization with 32 offices : SAP streamlined the processes however access of documents for different aspects of business remained a challenge. The solution helped resolve the solution. Product : OmniDocs and OmniScan and SAP Image enablement solutionCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 29
30. Newgen Partner Portal Visit http://partner.newgensoft.com SAP Image Enablement & Enterprise Document Archival Click on Register NowCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 30
31. THANK YOU www.newgensoft.com/partnersCompany Confidential. Copyright 2011 31