Dr. Md. Salequr Rahman
Department of Community Medicine
Shaheed Monsur Ali Medical College
Mumps ( Infectious Parotitis)
• Infectious and communicable
disease characterized by fever,
tenderness and localized swelling
of one or more of the salivary
glands, usually the Parotid and
occasionally the sublingual and
• Agent: Mumps virus- belongs to
Males are more affected
Lifelong immunity after one
• Passive immunity up to 6
• Reservoir: Saliva of infected person.
• Mode of transmission: Direct contact by
droplet, contaminated fomites.
• Incubation period: 12-26 days. Case is infective
1-6 days prior to appearance of swelling and
• Pain and swelling in either or
both the Parotid glands.
• Earache, pain and stiffness on
• Fever, headache and other
constitutional symptoms- for