1. Markku SotarautaThe Strategic Leadership Relay How to Keep Regional Innovation Journeys in Motion? Markku Sotarauta
2. 2 Markku Sotarauta This talk is about…• the place of leadership in regional innovation journeys,• processes of (institutional) changeBut it is also about…• a missing face and a prospective centre for human spare parts
3. 3 Markku Sotarauta Markku Sotarauta 3
4. 4 Leadership studies in the Markku Sotarauta regional innovation system context• Three perspectives in mind o the process perspective that informs a study on dynamism of innovation systems and secures a temporally conscious approach, o network perspective that informs about the social relationships of the actors in and beyond the regional development world and o governance perspective that informs about the wider systemic issues framing and molding both the actual systems and journeys as well as forms of leadership
5. 5 To put it simply Markku Sotarauta Leadership is aboutcreating a way for people to contribute to make something different happen and about pooling the most relevant resources, competences and powers
6. 6 Markku SotarautaInstitutional and resource power• Power to act and decide – direct power exercised by official actors• Power to create institutions and formulate official strategies• Power to direct resourcesInterpretive power• Power to create and reshape interpretations• Power to affect development view (more or less detailed system of beliefs and values)Network power• Power to influence interaction processes (Sotarauta, M. 2009. Power and Inﬂuence Tac9cs in the Promo9on of Regional Development: An Empirical Analysis of the Work of Finnish Regional Development Oﬃcers. Geoforum. 40:5. pp. 895-‐905)
7. 7Need a new jaw? Markku SotarautaOne size fits one!
8. 8Need a new jaw? Markku SotarautaOne size fits one!
9. Reg dev Prof. Hovatta organisations joins Regea Breakthrough 9 Markku Sotarauta treatments Endowed (2006/2007) Informal professorship discussions (City of Tampere)UTA professor discussionsTUT professor with all Regea Situation now relevant (2005)Existing parties • Commercializationexpertise • Changing university hospital routines Research Planning project • BioMediTech (UTA and group TUT) Excitement, Tissue collective bank Global interpretation expectations (excl research community) Leadership Diminish No of UTA and Business business Univ. hospital plan I - Seeds of change II – Collective III – Launch of IV – Institutionalization (1997-2000) Interpretation activity (2008-) (2001-2004) (2004-2007)
10. 10 Interpretive Markku Sotarauta Markku Sotarauta 1 power 0 Network Institutional & power Seeds of change resource power Process Policyknowledge knowledge Substance knowledge
11. 11 Interpretive Markku Sotarauta Markku Sotarauta 1 power 1 Network Institutional & power Collective resource power Interpretation Process Policyknowledge knowledge Substance knowledge
12. 12 Interpretive Markku Sotarauta Markku Sotarauta 1 power 2 Network Institutional & power resource power Launch of activity Process Policyknowledge knowledge Substance knowledge
13. 13 Interpretive Markku Sotarauta Markku Sotarauta 1 power 3 Network Institutional & power resource power Institutionalization Process Policyknowledge knowledge Substance knowledge
14. 14 Markku Sotarauta Conclusions1. Leadership is a multi-scalar and multi-actor process o Not a solo activity, no ‘heroic leadership’ - individuals do play a role and take a lead2. Leadership is a relay of power and knowledge in time o Different actors surface in different phases of development o Constellation of different skills, competencies, knowledge and power3. Leadership makes a difference o It may be one of the factors that explains how and why some localities are able to adapt to the complex and rapidly changing social and economic circumstances of the modern world o Lack of it may be one of the factors in failures