• More than 40,000 Googlers (employees of Google)
• Come from all over the world and from every
background, which brings unique experiences and
perspectives to their work.
• Google believes in hiring people who are smart and
determined, and favour ability over experience .
Google Employee Resource Groups (Ergs)
•Currently Google sponsor 18 ERGs around the globe.
•Members participate in activities such as education
outreach, mentoring, professional development,
community service and social events.
•Come together twice a year at the Annual ERG
Leadership Summit and the Sum of Google events to
network, share best practices, and celebrate their
• “Flat and grounded” structure- high middle
• Collaborative culture.
• High Tech environment.
• The quality that Google puts at the top of the
corporate culture chain is TRUST and
believes that trust is the very base of
• Google provides the infrastructure for
building Trust capital in an increasing era of
“culture of choice.”
Practices of Google
•After one year, an engineer can bid to work on
anything they want to.
•Employees can use 20% of their time on anything –
employees vote and pledge their 20% time to projects
that are seen as promising or cool.
•Google constantly builds “dog food teams” – the
groups who work to make all products better.
• Nooglers (new to Google) are given lots of on-
boarding support. They are taught early on:
o It’s fun to work – have fun.
o Think big and take risks.
o If it’s broken, fix it or find someone who can.
o Invent solutions not yet thought possible.
PERKS PROVIDED BY GOOGLE
•Employees have access to free rental cars if
they need to run an errand; free gyms on
campus, and some offices even offer on-site
•Health insurance and retirement benefits are
•On-site physicians and nurses, convenient
medical services, and comprehensive health
care coverage that help keeping employees
healthy and happy. 11
• Googlers and their families are covered with travel
insurance and emergency assistance - even on
• New parents get time off and some extra spending
money to help them welcome their new bundle of
• Google reimburses its employees for classes or
degree programs that help them with what they do.
• Googlers get legal advice at no cost and, in the US,
also get common legal services at a generous group
• It also provides free hair-cut services to its
Google, the future of corporate culture?
• Many new companies following this trend.
– Nike, Keen, Wyden and Kennedy
• Each companies culture is different