Using OU Campus in a Luminis PortalPresentation Transcript
Using OU Campus in a Luminis
Director of Web Communication & Strategic Projects
State University of New York at New Paltz
• OmniUpdate customer 4 years
• Luminis launched Jan. ’07 as “the all new
• Previously home grown portal
Birth of “My First Year” tab
• Poor Student Opinion Survey results
• Departments widely unknown and/or intimidating
• Strategy to combat & improve future SOS
How to implement?
• Create content development cycle
• Create production cycle
• Create “My First Year” tab for first year students in
• Create exciting, informative channels
• Update at least 1/month
• Tie in OmniUpdate
“My First Year” Tab Channels
• • FYI
• • My.Choices Matter
• Career Resource Ctr
• My.Orientation Leader
• Club of the month
• Living on campus
• Disability Resource Ctr
• Poll of the month
• Emerging leaders
• Psychological Counseling
• Tell Tara
“My First Year” Tab
• How are you going to use it?
• How are your users going to use it?
• Who is going to provide content?
• Who is going to update content?
• What are your goals?
• How will you measure results?
• Measuring results
– No built-in analytics
– Need to get creative
– What’s possible to track (and not)
• Who can create/produce videos?
• Who will post photos?
• How will content get in proper channels?
• Who needs to be trained in OmniUpdate?
Technical: How To
• Create new page
– Add OU edit code
• Create a new channel
– Demo: my.newpaltz.edu
• Remote HTML reference
• Edit text
• Accepted students tab
• Institutional Research internal documents
• Human Resources policies/documents
What’s coming next
• Finding the right mix / use
• Using OU opens up further possibilities
• Cross department & divisional boundaries
• Think creatively
• Use the tools your audience will use
• Build a realistic strategy
• Make it easy to update content
Let me in!
• Username: lumtest2
• Password: ouwebinar12