1. Rachael Zylstra<br />I hail from Grand Rapids, Mich., and I now live in East Lansing, Mich. <br />I’m passionate about writing news stories and 140-character tweets, event planning, brand strategy and management, and anything new media. I’m a sushi fanatic, Spartan for life, dog lover and beach bum.<br />Meet Rachael Zylstra | JRN 730<br />
2. A little background<br />I received a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Michigan State University in 2008. During my undergraduate career, I worked as a general assignment reporter at the City Pulse, in Lansing, and The State News, in East Lansing.<br />I’m currently pursuing a master’s degree in public relations from MSU. I will graduate in Dec. 2011.<br />I currently work full time at University Relationsat MSU.I’m a communications specialist and I’m responsible for all things new media. I also maintain the msu.edu homepage, and help with marketing and branding strategies. Spartans Will.<br />Photo courtesy University Relations <br />Meet Rachael Zylstra | JRN 730<br />
3. Web 2.0 experience<br />At my job at University Relations, I work with Web 2.0 concepts each day. I have experience with:<br /><ul><li> Blogs
4. Social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Flickr
12. What I hope to learn<br />Journalism has changed drastically since I got my undergraduate degree—and that was only a few years ago!<br />With emerging technologies taking the stage in journalism and the news, I hope to: <br /><ul><li> Learn how to become a more effective writer for the web.
13. Utilize multimedia to its maximum potential to help tell my story in a unique and interesting way.
14. Better understand the ethics with new media and journalism.
15. Consume news online in a more comprehensive way.</li></ul>Image courtesy caytonphotography.com<br />Meet Rachael Zylstra | JRN 730<br />
16. Get social with me!<br />facebook.com/rachaelzylstra<br />Twitter.com/rachaelz<br />linkedin.com/in/<br />rachaelzylstra<br />Meet Rachael Zylstra | JRN 730<br />