1. Nov. 28th Multiple Stakeholders What are stakeholders? First Battle of Blair Mountain (1921) Union busters VS Coal miners Second Battle of Blair Mountain (TODAY) STAKEHOLDERS Mining companies VS United Mine Workers of America Archaeologists Environmentalists Historical preservationistsStakeholders: People who have an interest (a stake) in the past
2. Three case studies 1) Destruction of Ancestral Puebloan petroglyphs 2) The celebration of the Solstice at Stonehenge 3) How Shakers are presented at Shakertown, KentuckyQuestions for each case study Who are the stakeholders? What are the stakes? What is the resolution?
3. 1) Destruction of Ancestral Puebloan petroglyphs What is Ancestral Puebloan? Mimbres pottery (1000- Ancestral 1300 AD PuebloansHohokam Mimbres
4. Puebloans are known for living in large stone pueblos. Pueblos reached their largest size between 1000 and 1300 ADPueblo Bonito, Chaco Canyon, New Mexico
5. Cliff Dwelling, Mesa Verde, Colorado
6. Gran Quivira pueblo,near Roswell, New Mexico
7. Taos Pueblo, a modern pueblo in New Mexico
8. A pueblo in Northern New Mexico
9. Taos Pueblo, a modern pueblo in New Mexico
10. Hopi pueblos 100 years agoHopi pueblo at Oraibi Hopi pueblo at Walpi
11. Navajo hogan
12. petroglyphs Ancestral Puebloan petroglyphs and pictographs (made by ancestors of Hopi)pictographs petroglyphs
13. 1) Destruction of Ancestral Puebloan petroglyphs and pictographsWho are the stakeholders: The Navajo VS The Hopi Petroglyphs cause Petroglyphs are ourWhat are the stakes? evil, therefore VS history, therefore must be destroyed must be preservedWhat is the resolution?
14. Barbara Bender 2) The celebration of the Solstice at Stonehenge There is a long history of conflict between stakeholders at Stonehenge, beginning from the moment it was built.
15. Travelers camped near Stonhenge
16. Travelers celebrating solstice at Stonhenge
17. 50,000 Travelers camped at Stonhenge during the 1984 Free Festival
18. Exclusion zone1985 Battle of the Beanfield
19. 1985 Battle of the Beanfield
20. Quilt commemorating 1988 clash between police and travelers 1989: Travelers broke into Stonehenge
21. Druids at Stonehenge King Arthur Pendragon (aka John Rothwell), winter solstice Dec. 21, 2010
22. 2) The celebration of the Solstice at Stonehenge English HeritageWho are the stakeholders: Travelers VS Archaeologists Druids Trying to camp out and Trying to reserve StonehengeWhat are the stakes? celebrate the solstice up VS to decent, paying tourists. Also close to Stonehenge for free trying to limit wear and tear on and without getting Stonehenge and Salisbury Plain heads cracked openWhat is the resolution? 2003: Exclusion zone finally repealed
23. 3) How Shakers are presented at Shakertown, Kentucky
24. Contradiction: Shakers are good producers, but odd people Response to contradiction: we should overlook the Shaker’s oddities and focus on their industriousness Alternative response to contradiction: The Shaker’s oddities are key to understanding what they were all about. Every key aspect of who the shakers were is a repudiation of mainstream society and industrial capitalism The past (actually just the mouthpiece The voice of of the present) the present
25. 3) How Shakers are presented at Shakertown, KentuckyWho are the stakeholders? Doesn’t really pit one stakeholder against another. The conflict is between different visions of what the past was likeWhat are these The Shakers are like us, The Shakers are very different: they VScompeting visions? but just a little strange thought mainstream society was all wrong The past is the same VS The past is different from the as the present present and can challenge the present Today’s free market Today’s free market capitalism is capitalism is a natural VS inhumane, but it and can be changedWhat is at stake? state of affairs, and and the Shakers show that there are should not be changed alternatives. Archaeology is a social science, which means that there What is the resolution? are many sides to each issue. As long as we live in a democracy as opposed to a dictatorship, the deepest questions will continue to be debated.