• Algebra is a high school credit course• Algebra students are held to a higher standard• Pre-AP students are held to an even higher standard• Algebra grades are included in their G.P.A.
•There is NO math gene!•It takes time, effort, and practice to do math well.
• Algebraic thinking & symbolic reasoning• Function concepts• Relationships between equations & functions• Tools for algebraic thinking• Underlying mathematical processes
• We will watch every student closely the first marking period.• We do not want any student to have a grade of less than 80.
• At Second Progress… • A grade below 75 will result in an immediate move to 8th Grade G-T Math• At The First Marking Period… • Any student with under an 80 average will be placed in 8th Grade G-T Math.
Read & NotesEvery lesson begins with a readingassignment.Students will read and take notesover one or two sections of the text.This prepares the students for thenext day’s lesson.
Class LessonThe day’s lesson is based on whatstudents read the previous evening.They already have begun their notesand only need to fill in the blankswhen taking class notes.
Home PracticeDaily practice assignments arebased on the day’s lesson.It will generally take about 45 to 60minutes.We encourage students use a 20minute rule when doing theirpractice.
ReviewAt the beginning of class we reviewand discuss selected problems withwhich students have had somedifficulties.
• There are 3 levels of problems • Level A – Learn the concept; practice speed • Level B – What everyone should be able to do • Level C – Higher level – stretch the skills• Students choose which problems to do, BUT they must do some from each level.
• Assessment Every Friday • Quiz, Quiz, Test • You should have a graded paper every Monday. Ask for it!• Quick-Quizzes Anytime
• An end-of-course exam that covers the Texas-mandated curriculum• The test will be timed• 15% of final course grade• No need to take a grade level assessment
• Graphing calculators will be used extensively in class• We have a class set of TI-84+ graphing calculators• Your student will need one at home
• Weekly Update• Calendar• Practice Sets• Forms, Instruction sets, Graph paper, Information packets, etc.• Other good stuff• http://qvamath.net