• Micromachining is used to create parts of size in the order of
• Materials on a micrometer-scale possess unique properties
• It is used to create Micro Electro-mechanical systems (MEMs
devices), Integrated circuits etc.
• Micromachining is derived from traditional machining
processes such as turning, milling, laser machining etc., by
judicious modification of these machines.
• Unit metal removal and equipment precision are the key
factors to micro machining.
• Micromachining is used for fabricating micro-channels, drug
delivery systems and micro-probes in biotechnology
Mechanical Force Micro milling ,
Ablation Excimer Laser,
Dissolution Etching, ECM Glass, Quartz Si
• Used to create 3D features
in the range of a few
microns to a few hundred
• Micro milling is capable of
the fabricating holes several
tens of micrometers in size
for practical applications.
• Uses a power source (FS laser, Excimer laser) that emits a
beam with very high quantum energy.
• Non-contact machining ,Very high resolution, repeatability
and aspect ratios.
• Localized heating, No pre/post processing of material
• Wide range of materials: fragile, ultra-thin and highly
• The removal mechanism is based on ionic reaction on the
work piece surface.
• Machining force is almost zero and the surface after
machining is free from any damage, residual stress or heat
Application of Micromachining
• Inertia measurement devices.
• Micro-fluidic devices like inkjet nozzle and flow controllers.
• Optical switches used in display devices and optical
• Used in medical diagnosis such as blood pressure sensors.
As regards micro machining, dimensions of the product is one
of the good indicator of the levels of technology and request.
However, the level of request from the industry varies widely.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.