1. 2/20/12 Bender (Futurama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia1/9en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_Bending_RodríguezBender B. RodríguezFuturama characterBender drinking beer and smokingFirstappearance"Space Pilot 3000"Voiced by John DiMaggioInformationSpecies RobotGender MaleOccupation Industrial Machine, AssistantManager of SalesRelatives Son: JuniorTwin: FlexoUncle: VladimirOrigin Tijuana, Baja California, MexicoBender (Futurama)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(Redirected from Bender Bending Rodríguez)Bender Bending Rodríguez, designated Bending Unit22, is a fictional robot character in the animated televisionseries Futurama. He was created by series creators MattGroening and David X. Cohen and is voiced by JohnDiMaggio. In the series, Bender plays the role of a comicanti-hero, and is described by Leela as an "alcoholic,whore-mongering, chain-smoking gambler". He wasbuilt in Mexico and other characters refer to his "swarthyLatin charm". He is, per his own testimony, prejudicedagainst non-robots, often expressing an urge to "kill allhumans" except his best friend, Fry; however, he has alsocommitted acts of kindness for humans and others,suggesting he is not truly as belligerent as he claims.Contents1 Role in Futurama2 Character2.1 Creation2.2 Voice3 Design4 Personality5 Reception and cultural influence6 ReferencesRole in FuturamaBender serves as a member of Professor Farnsworthsdelivery crew and as the ships cook for the PlanetExpress ship. He is Frys housemate and one of his closestfriends, though the relationship is often one-sided. Benderis a heavy drinker, smoker, and gambler and has beenreferred to as "pure evil" by other characters, though isalso something of a lovable rogue. Bender drinks in orderto obtain the alcohol needed to fuel his power circuits,and, ironically, enters an inebriated-like state when hedoes not consume enough. The process produces waste gases and heat, which he often expels as a flaming
2. 2/20/12 Bender (Futurama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia2/9en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_Bending_Rodríguezbelch.Bender often shows signs of sociopath-like behavior, as he is a pathological liar, and rarely shows empathytowards anyone. He has a mostly voluntary morality and constantly steals, ranging from the petty theft ofwallets to much higher crimes like kidnapping Jay Lenos head due to their long feud and stealing Frysblood. He also once stole Amys earrings while giving her a hug. It was shown in "Roswell That Ends Well"that even in a disassembled state, his individual limbs carry on attempting to steal anything in proximity; thehand on his dismembered arm steals a wallet right out of a scientists pocket before becoming inactive again.Bender is a Bending Unit 22 model robot. Bender was built four years ago at a facility in Tijuana, Mexico byMoms Friendly Robot Company, specifically for the task of bending metal girders for the construction ofsuicide booths (ironic as Bender twice attempts suicide using such booths later on). In Hermess flashback in"Lethal Inspection", Bender is seen as a newborn with a baby-like body (also seen in "Teenage MutantLeelas Hurdles") and though he is defective, Hermes is revealed to have approved Benders inspection out ofempathy and thus saved him; the episode also reveals that because of his defective lack of a backup unit,Bender is mortal, unlike other robots. In "Bendless Love", Bender is portrayed as built with his normal adult-sized body and memory of his birth. As Benders memory of his birth is an adult form, it is possible what heremembered wasnt his birth, but a transfer to an adult body.Bender attended Bending State University,where he majored in Bending and minored in Robo-American studies. He was also a member of Epsilon RhoRho, a robot fraternity, where he became something of a fraternity hero for his many shenanigans; one nighthe chugged an entire keg of beer, streaked across campus, and stuffed fifty-eight people into a telephonebooth ("A lot of them were children."). While different creation processes have been shown, David X. Cohenstated that the viewer has only been shown Bender emerging from the machine that created him, while whathappened inside the machine was not revealed. In "Rebirth", Benders chassis is reconstructed from stemcells.CharacterCreationThe name Bender was chosen by series creator Matt Groening as a homage to the character John Benderfrom The Breakfast Club (although the name was later used in reference to his job of bending girders).There is also a significant similarity to the character in John Sladeks novel Tik-Tok (1983), whose titlecharacter is a robot that disobeys humans, calls them "meatfaces" (like Benders "meatbags") and at one pointeven says:"You can kiss my copper-plated ass!"The design for Bender went through multiple changes before reaching its final state. One of the decisionswhich Matt Groening found to be particularly difficult was whether Benders head should be square or round.Initially he worked under the idea that all robots would have square heads in 3000; however, it was laterdecided that Benders head should be round, a visual play on the idea that Bender is a "round peg in a squarehole". Benders antennae, which would have been positioned in place of his ears, were also changed togive him a more streamlined appearance. Groening later states in commentary for the episode Crimes of theHot that the robot built by Professor Farnsworth in that episode is very similar to the original design for
3. 2/20/12 Bender (Futurama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia3/9en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_Bending_RodríguezBender.VoiceWhen casting for Futurama, Benders voice was the most difficult to cast, in part because the shows creatorshad not yet decided what a robot should sound like. Because of this, every voice actor who auditioned, nomatter for what character, was asked to also read for Bender. After about 300 auditions, series co-creatorDavid X. Cohen even attempted to audition after being told he sounded like a robot. John DiMaggio waseventually chosen for the role after his second audition. He originally auditioned using his Bender voice forthe role of Professor Farnsworth and used a voice later used for URL the police robot for Bender. Hedescribes the voice he got the part with as a combination of a sloppy drunk, Slim Pickens and a character hiscollege friend created named "Charlie the sausage-lover". Casting directors liked that he made thecharacter sound like a drunk, rather than an automaton. DiMaggio has noted that he had difficulty singing asBender in "Hell Is Other Robots" because he was forced to sing the harmony part in a low key.DesignBender is a robot from a series of bending units designed and manufactured by Moms Friendly RobotCompany. His serial number is 2716057, which can be expressed as the sum of 2 cubes. Robots in thatseries are not androids, but nevertheless have features that are designed to resemble those of humans. Thus,Benders factory-set height is 5-6" (little over 6 with antenna) and he has a body with a "shiny metal ass",two legs, two arms with three fingers each, and a head with two replaceable eyes, shaped like light-emittingdiodes, and a mouth used for fuel intake and voice communication. In Bender Gets Made, Bender says healso has a nose, but chooses not to wear it.Benders body armor is made entirely of metal. Even when it is seemingly destroyed or completely detachedfrom Benders head, it has no effect on Benders ability to think and communicate, indicating that hiselectronic brain is located in his head. Both Benders head and body host a number of interfaces. His headhas a data socket and volume control. His body has a socket for a microphone jack, a reset button, anda self-destruct button. Having the hardware-based self-destruct control on the body, rather than in hissoftware, has prevented Bender from committing suicide in A Head in the Polls when he pawned his bodyfor cash, grew desperate without it, and wanted to kill himself.Bender uses his chest cavity as a locker, which seems to store much more than is physically possible, oftenused to store heads in jars, small children, alcohol, money, and loot. In The Route of All Evil, the cavity wasalso used as a boil kettle, hopback, and fermentation tank to produce home-made beer. On inspection of hisbody it is normally shown to be empty, though devices like the F-Ray reveal that he does have gears andother robotic components inside despite appearing hollow.Being a technologically advanced robot, Bender possess numerous features superfluous to his originalpurpose. Using those features at his will, Bender is able to make human-like facial expressions using his eyesand mouth; record video and audio; extend/retract/detach his arms, legs and eyes; transform his feet into rollerskates; project imagery; function as a water heater and pepper grinder; and use his head for a widerange of functions such as an aerosol paint canister. Bender is capable of disassembling and reassembling
4. 2/20/12 Bender (Futurama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia4/9en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_Bending_Rodríguezhis body at will, replacing his blown out eye balls, and operating each detached body part individually andremotely by presumably using his transmitter and antenna to send wireless signals.Bender operates on alcohol-based fuel. Having low alcohol level in his body makes Bender, like otheralcohol-fueled robots made by Moms Friendly Robot Company, increasingly dysfunctional. While alcohol isused to generate electrical power in Benders body, his hardware is controlled by a factory-loaded operatingsystem, which reboots upon incidental shutdown and automatically adjusts its settings to the environmentdetected at the time of rebooting. For example, in The Birdbot of Ice-Catraz, when Bender reboots, his visualsensor detects a colony of penguins and his boot loader reinitializes him with a penguin language andpenguin-like behavior.As a bending unit, Bender is shown to have extraordinary strength, even bending enormous steel girdersmarked "UN-BENDABLE" in Bendless Love). Bender is also shown to be extremely durable and strong, ashe is able to break through solid objects, survive gunfire and explosions, function underwater, and sustainextremely high temperatures - all thanks to Benders design and metallurgical composition, which he hasinconsistently claimed in various instances to be some combination of the following:30% iron40% titanium40% lead40% zinc40% dolomite20% or 40% chromium40-50% osmium0.04% nickel60% storage space40% scrap metal and40% lucky.Other bending units of the same model as Bender, such as Flexo, show personality traits similar to those ofBender, though Flexo is not quite as "evil" as Bender. In the episode Mothers Day, Leela looks through asimulation of a bending units sight, which targets potential rubes and then denotes a plan to rob them andleave them in a ditch, showing that they are thieving and amoral by design. However a bending unit namedBilly West is helpful and kind, though this unit lives as a farmer on the moon.PersonalityBender is shown throughout the series as having a secret desire to be a folk musician that only manifests itselfwhen a magnet is placed on/near his head. This desire is finally fulfilled in the episode "Bendin in the Wind":an accident involving a giant can opener leaves Bender with a severely ripped-open chest and paralyzed fromthe neck down, and an encounter with Beck during his hospitalization leads to him becoming his leadwashboard, and the two teaming for a musical tour that turns Bender into a folk hero for other broken robots,only for his career to end when he recovers from the damage.Bender is also fascinated with cooking, being the Planet Express ships chef, though he is shown to have no
5. 2/20/12 Bender (Futurama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia5/9en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_Bending_Rodríguezsense of actual human taste, in fact, his early dinners were so horrible that even the literally omnivorousZoidberg couldnt eat it. In his first attempt, he creates a dinner for the crew that is so over-salted they all gag(which is aggravated further when their drinks turn out to be salt water, or "Salt with water in it," as Benderputs it), then tells them that the food was fine since the salt content was 10% below a lethal dose (Dr.Zoidberg remarks that he "shouldnt have had seconds"). In "The Problem with Popplers", he creates dinnerconsisting of nothing but capers and baking soda, and mistakenly expresses the belief that humans eat rocks.He seems to improve his cooking skills over the series, cooking a lavish cake for Nibblers birthday party andbeating Elzar for the title of Iron Cook (though he uses a potion called "The Essence of Pure Flavor,"consisting of water and a generous portion of LSD to make the judges hallucinate that his food tastes good).In Into the Wild Green Yonder he mistakingly bakes prison guards a cake with nutmeg thinking it was anatural human sleep drug, before being corrected by Amy that nutmeg is in fact a baking drug.Bender also states, "Ive always wanted to break in to gooning." in the episode, "Bender Gets Made."As a robot, Bender possesses an incredible amount of patience. In the series and movies, he is shown to waitover a thousand years in sand after his head is lost during a trip back in time to 1947, and many thousands ofyears in subterranean caverns under New York (Although on this occasion he was also in the presence ofmultiple alternate versions of himself that had previously made the same trip). Despite the long wait, it issuggested that Bender does not power down, apparently enjoying his own company so much that he does notconsider it necessary. However, in one episode, he shows next to no patience as a one time joke.Benders constant drinking stems from the fact that he needs booze to power his fuel cells; the processgenerates waste gases and heat, which he often expels as a flaming belch (although it is not always a belch).Although booze is thus a necessity for Bender rather than a vice, he apparently drinks far more than herequires, contributing to his characterization as an alcoholic ("Hell Is Other Robots" reveals that robots canfunction equally well on mineral oil instead of alcohol, also contributing to the perception of Benders alcoholuse as a vice). If Bender is deprived of alcohol, for instance during periods of depression, he ceases tofunction properly and shows signs similar to human drunkenness, including developing a rusty 5 oclockshadow. As noted above, his disembodied head has survived for millennia with, presumably, no source ofalcohol, so it may be that, when a mere head, Bender neither requires alcohol nor suffers from its absence.In addition to consuming alcohol for energy, he also has a nuclear pile, as seen in "Godfellas". When he issufficiently frightened or sickened, bricks fall from his backside (a reference to the slang "shitting bricks"), asseen in "Space Pilot 3000", The Beast with a Billion Backs and "Bendin in the Wind". When sufficientlyfascinated by something, he may pull out a camera and snap a picture, adding the catchphrase "Neat!" Inaddition to drinking, Bender also has an affinity for cigars. Unlike drinking alcohol for fuel, Bender tells Frythat he smokes cigars simply because they "make (him) look cool."Despite being a robot, Bender has been seen to show emotion on many occasions, going so far as to shed atear in "Crimes of the Hot", to the astonishment of Fry. One of the series running jokes revolves aroundBender having emotions, while technically he should be unfeeling. Bender is seemingly unaware of hisemotions, stating in the episode "Anthology of Interest II" "I mean, being a robots great but we dont haveemotions and sometimes that makes me very sad". In his very first appearance, he tries to commit suicidevia a suicide booth out of guilt for having unknowingly participated in creating suicide booths. Bender hasalso been known to be nonchalant to the point of appearing both uncaring and incredibly brave, even whenfaced with life-threatening situations.
6. 2/20/12 Bender (Futurama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia6/9en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_Bending_RodríguezBender can perform many functions that are often regarded as exclusive to humans, such as whistling,snoring, having bloodshot eyes, crying, feeling at the least physical attraction, being tickled, dreaming, andbelching. Despite these anthropomorphic characteristics, he can function in the vacuum of space, in the deepsea, or while submerged in lava for a short period. Bender is a classic narcissist, as seen in "The FarnsworthParabox" when he seemingly falls in love with an alternate gold plated version of himself, stating that he hasfinally found someone "as great as me". In Benders Big Score he converses with time-duplicates of himselfunder New New York in a limestone cavern for thousands of years because he is so in love with himself.Despite these human characteristics, Bender has no detectable soul, as seen in "Obsoletely Fabulous" whenhe passes through a soul detector without an alarm sounding.Benders family is rarely seen in the show. It is known that his mother was an Industrial robot, however heoften refers to Mom, the owner of the company that made him, as his mother. On several occasions he meetswith another bending unit of the same manufacturer, Flexo, who looks and sounds exactly like him except foran arbitrary metal goatee. Flexo is later revealed to be the good twin despite the goatee, while Bender is theevil twin (an apparent twist on the classic Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror"). Bender also claims to have anidentical cousin named Buster. It is also revealed that Bender has a young son who he willingly sent to RobotHell in exchange for a robot army provided by the Robot Devil to get Frys attention in The Beast with aBillion Backs. He also has an Aunt Rita, a screw, however this is only mentioned in a dream-sequence ofLeelas, and may not be true, and in Beast with a Billion Backs, during the Deathball sequence, Benderclaims his grandmother was a bulldozer. In "That Darn Katz!" Bender claims he has a cousin named Turner,who is apparently an expert in turning, hence the name. Bender also had an Uncle named Vladamir whopassed away in The Honking, whose son, Tandy, is by extension Benders cousin.Benders relationships with the crew of Planet Express vary from person to person, although he treats nearlyall biological organisms with disdain. The only one of his friends who he has openly shown affection for isFry, his best friend and roommate. "Of all the friends Ive had, (he is) the first." Although he is verbally andphysically abusive towards Fry and considers him to be vastly inferior to himself, he has been shown to carefor him a great deal. In "Jurassic Bark" he states that he loves Fry "the way a human loves a dog", and in "ISecond That Emotion" when Bender gets jealous of Nibbler and flushes him down the toilet, a distraughtLeela asks how he would feel if she did the same to Fry, effectively describing Fry as Benders pet (Benderresponds with an apathetic "Only one way to find out."). He routinely takes advantage of his friends, framingthem for crimes, robbing them, stealing Frys blood on more than one occasion, stealing Frys power ofattorney, using Frys body to smash open a window, stealing jewelry from Amy, and using Zoidberg invarious get-rich-quick schemes, although it is probable he does not consider Dr. Zoidberg a friend since in"Obsoletely Fabulous" Bender begged the 1X Robot to "save (his) friends and Zoidberg" (Though it is seenthat he helps Zoidberg from time to time, as seen in "Thats Lobstertainment!"). He even betrays Leela toZapp when she becomes a wanted criminal out of jealousy of her steadily growing rap sheet in Into the WildGreen Yonder, only to break her out of prison to make sure his own rap sheet is longer than hers. Althoughhe regularly frustrates the group, they have demonstrated a certain affection for him as well; during "HowHermes Requisitioned His Groove Back" the entire crew travelled to the Central Bureaucracy to recover hisbrain after Morgan Proctor downloaded it onto a disc and sent it away, Hermes Conrad subsequently riskinghis bureaucratic license to locate the disc with Benders brain on it by sorting the entire pile in just under fourminutes. In this episode, when Amy asked why they had to fix him, after being met with a brief period ofuncertain silence, Leela responded with "Those arguments aside, were still going."Despite his often criminal and immoral attitude, Bender is not free of a soft side; he can feel guilt and remorse
7. 2/20/12 Bender (Futurama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia7/9en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_Bending_RodríguezGroening presenting a Bender-shapedDVD box set.over his actions if he goes too far, even for his patterns, indicating that he is not selfish or unkind as heappears to be. In fact, Bender intends to commit suicide in Space Pilot 3000 due to his role in the creation ofsuicide booths. In Bendless Love, Bender intends to get rid of Flexo in order to gain the love of a fembot(Angelyne), but when the latter gets stuck under a gigantic steel girder, Angelyne shows sorrow for him.Bender decides that her happiness is more important than his own and he ends up saving Flexo. Also inJurassic Bark, when Bender becomes jealous of Frys petrified dog, Seymour, he decides to throws it inmagma. But when he realizes how Fry becomes deeply hurt, Bender apologizes for his misbehavior and inthe finale, he saves the dog. And in Godfellas, he becomes a god of a microscopic alien race (the shrimpkins),and abuses his title by commanding them to produce beer for him. But when his abuse causes their death,Bender cries in mourning and remorse.Bender is known for his catchphrase "Bite my shiny metal ass", which he uses nearly every episodethroughout the series (it was even his very first line of dialogue in the pilot) and sometimes varying thephrase. Bender also has the catchphrases "Were Boned" and "Cheese it!" Also, when referring to himself,Bender frequently refers to himself in the first and third person.He also is capable of calculating split-second timing while time-traveling as seen in Benders Big Score wherehe is capable of calculating the exact second when he can appear from the underground cave, immediatelyafter his counterpart has left for the past.Due to complications in the episode "Roswell That Ends Well", Benders head is 1055 years older than therest of his body, and since "Benders Big Score"- during which multiple versions of himself traveled back intime to as far back as Ancient Egypt before waiting out the intervening centuries in the stone cavernsunderneath Planet Express, Benders age is many thousands or even possibly millions of years old, though hedoes at one point indicate that he is four.Reception and cultural influenceBender (being the shows breakout character) has made severalcameos in different episodes of The Simpsons, another series by MattGroening. Within The Simpsons, Bender has appeared in episodes"Future-Drama", "Bart vs. Lisa vs. the Third Grade", "Missionary:Impossible", and "Replaceable You." He also appears as one of theenemies, along with Doctor Zoidberg, in The Simpsons Game.Bender has a cameo appearance in the Family Guy episode "TheSplendid Source", as one of the people who had heard and told adirty joke whose original author Peter, Joe and Quagmire areseeking.In 2008, Bender took second place behind the Terminator in a pollfor the "Baddest Movie Robot" on Techradar.com.The song "Bend It Like Bender!" from the Devin Townsend Project album Addicted, is a direct reference toBender, and contains the quote, "Games over, losers! I have all the money!"In 2008 Bender was inducted into the Robot Hall of Fame.
8. 2/20/12 Bender (Futurama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia8/9en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_Bending_RodríguezReferences1. ^ "Crimes of the Hot"2. ^ "Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV"3. ^ "Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs"4. ^ Barshad, Amos (2011-02-17). "Drinking on TV Is Everywhere, But Who Gets It Right?"(http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/drinking_on_tv_is_everywhere_b.html) . New York Magazine.http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/drinking_on_tv_is_everywhere_b.html.5. ^ Lethal Inspection, The Cyber House Rules6. ^ Cohen, David X (2003). Futurama season 4 DVD commentary for the episode "Teenage Mutant LeelasHurdles" (DVD). 20th Century Fox.7. ^ "Intellectual Names". Sci-Fi Baby Names: 500 Out-of-this-world Baby Names from Anakin to Zardoz. pp. 119.8. ^ a b Sterngold, James (2008-06-10). "Bringing an Alien And a Robot to Life; The Gestation of the SimpsonsHeirs" (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEFDF173EF931A15754C0A96F958260) . NewYork Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEFDF173EF931A15754C0A96F958260.9. ^ Groening, Matt (2003). Futurama season 4 DVD commentary for the episode "Crimes of the Hot" (DVD). 20thCentury Fox.10. ^ Cohen, David X (2003). Futurama season 1 DVD commentary for the episode "Space Pilot 3000" (DVD). 20thCentury Fox.11. ^ Cohen, David X (2003). Futurama season 1 DVD commentary for the episode "The Series Has Landed" (DVD).20th Century Fox.12. ^ Cohen, David X.; Groening, Matt; Moore, Rich; Vanzo, Gregg; DiMaggio, John (2002). Futurama: VolumeOne DVD commentary for the episode "Space Pilot 3000" (DVD). 20th Century Fox. "John DiMaggio: Now,thats the first words, but– you know what, I auditioned for the– when I auditioned for this show, I auditioned andI auditioned for the Professor as well. And I used that voice for the professor and I used that voice, and I alsoused– I also used URLs voice for Bender. So I did a couple of different things."13. ^ Itzkoff, Dave (2010-06-24). "‘Futurama’-Rama: Welcome Back to the World of Tomorrow"(http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/futurama-rama-welcome-back-to-the-world-of-tomorrow/) . TheNew York Times. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/futurama-rama-welcome-back-to-the-world-of-tomorrow/. Retrieved 2010-07-08.14. ^ Dimaggio, John (2003). Futurama season 1 DVD commentary for the episode "Hell Is Other Robots" (DVD).20th Century Fox.15. ^ Specifically, 9523 + (-951)3 with Flexos serial number 3370318 = 1193 + 1193. Source: Maths in Futurama(http://bbrp.atwebpages.com/mathematics.html)16. ^ In The Cyber House Rules, Bender shows the kids a black-and-white police file photo of himself taken after hiswas arrested for stealing a watch. In Time Keeps on Slippin, Bender is trying to join a basketball team and makeshimself taller by simply extending his legs.17. ^ In Roswell that Ends Well Frys grandfather sticks his hand inside Benders head and retrieves a handful ofcircuit boards and microchips.18. ^ A Pharaoh to Remember19. ^ Bender pushes a button on his body to erase everything he knows about cooking (The 30% Iron Chef).20. ^ Thats Lobstertainment!21. ^ The 30% Iron Chef22. ^ A Pharaoh to Remember23. ^ In Godfellas Bender survives atmospheric entry after returning to Earth from the outer space.24. ^ The 30% Iron Chef25. ^ The titanium composition of Benders body is confirmed in A Head in the Polls, in which he pawns his body forcash during a titanium shortage.26. ^ Benders dolomite composition is supported in Jurassic Bark when he survives a swim through a pool of magma,