1. S-V Pattern Subject- VerbSimplest patternEx.Everyone listened. S VEveryone in the crowd listened to the teacher. S VWhere are the dead? V SIn Jesus Christ rest the hope for the mankind. V S
2. S-LV-PN Pattern Subject-Linking Verb-Predicate Nominative Predicate Nominative is defined as a noun or pronoun that follows a linking verb and renames or identifies the subject of the sentence.Ex.The first book of the Bible is Genesis. S LV PNAre you the owner of this inspiring book?LV S PNMy favorite speaker is you. S LV PN
3. S-LV-PA Pattern Subject- Linking Verb- Predicate Adjective Predicate Adjective is an adjective that follows a linking verb.Ex.I am happy about your change of heart.S LV PAMartha and Mary were truly glad to see their S S LV PA brother come in life.
4. S-TV-DO PatternSubject- Transitive Verb-Direct Object Direct object is a word or group of words that receives the action of the transitive verb. It answer the question WHAT? Or WHOM? It may be a noun, pronoun, phrases or clauses. Transitive verb is a verb that needs a receiver.Ex.The Pharisees questioned the disciples. S TV DO(Whom did the Pharisees questioned?)She has read the daily text. S TV DO(What has she read?)
5. S-TV-IO-DO Pattern Subject- Transitive Verb-Indirect Object-Direct Object Indirect object- is a word that tells to whom or for the action of the transitive verb is done.Ex.Jacob gave Joseph a long shirt-like garment. S TV IO DOHe asked his elder sons where Joseph was. S TV IO DO
6. S-TV-DO-OC Pattern Subject- Transitive Verb-Direct Object- Objective Complement Objective Complement- is a noun or an adjective that completes the meaning of the transitive verb and refers to the direct object.Ex.Pharaoh made Joseph overseer of his kingdom. S TV DO OC (n.)He considered Joseph wise and compassionate.S TV DO OC OC (adj.)
Exercise 1Rearrange the words in correct order to make completesentences.e.g. the fat cat / a mouse / is chasing. The fat cat is chasing a mouse.1. that thin girl / is drinking / milk now2. the robbers yesterday / the police / caught3. our teacher / like /we4. my mother / my baby sister / is looking after5. has just written / a letter / the tall man:3
Exercise 2Rearrange the words in correct order to make completesentences.e.g. my sister / a birthday cake yesterday / me / baked My sister baked me a birthday cake yesterday.1. the short man / has bought / some crayons from thestationery shop / his son2. the policeman / has just shown / the driver / his drivinglicense3. the patient / gave / some medicine / the nurse4. brought / me / a bouquet of flowers last week / my uncle5. the shopkeeper / the customer / is paying / two hundreddollars:3
Exercise 3Apply what you have learned.1. S-V Pattern2. S-LV-PN Pattern3. S-LV-PA Pattern4. S-TV-DO Pattern5. S-TV-IO-DO Pattern6. S-TV-DO-OC Pattern
Answers :3Exercise 1• 1. That thin girl is drinking milk now.• 2. The police caught the robbers yesterday.• 3. We like our teacher.• 4. My mother is looking after my baby sister.• 5. The tall man has just written a letter. Exercise 2• 1. The short man has bought his son some crayons from the stationery shop.• 2. The driver has just shown the policeman his driving license.• 3. The nurse gave the patient some medicine.• 4. My uncle brought me a bouquet of flowers last week.• 5. The customer is paying the shopkeeper two hundred dollars.
Extra Work! Find the DO of the verb.1. The company has built a gym for its 4. Tom finally returned all those library employees. books yesterday. employees finally built books gym returned company Tom2. The guides chased a bear from the 5. Cary made only two mistakes on that picnic grounds. difficult math quiz. bear mistakes chased only from quiz grounds difficult3. We saved that antique desk from 6. By the end of the second week, all the destruction. students had bought their textbooks. that week saved textbooks desk students destruction end
Extra Work!7. The quarterbacks reviewed their playbooks 10 . We finished that project at for two hours this morning. 2:00 A.M. this morning. quarterbacks finished morning we hours project playbooks morning8. The professor’s stale jokes did not amuse anyone. jokes amuse stale anyone9. After Carl’s resignation, the company hired two people for that department. company hired resignation people