2. Gregor MendelGenetic inheritance wasfirst explained by GregorMendel in 1866.
3. Why Care? To understand genetic diseases To create new genetic variations To better understand evolution
4. How are genetic traits passed on?DNA Transcription RNA Translation Protein ?I think parents pass on their __________ to their offspring DNA Reminder: Draw RNA out overview Protein
7. How are genetic traits inherited?What kind of cells do you need to make a baby? Gametes: a cell that fuses with another cell during fertilization - Sperm and egg cells - Sex cells Our genetic inheritance is really complicated so let first focus on the simple pea plant.
8. Somatic Cells Somatic Cells: Cells that do not participate in sexual reproduction - ex: muscle cells, neural cells, skin cells
9. How are genetic traits inherited?:Mendel’s Pea Plant Experiments
10. How are genetic traits inherited?Mendel’s Experiment demonstrates theLaw of segregation (the first law): parents pass on a randomlyselected copy (allele) of a gene to its offspring.
11. The second lawLaw of Independent Assortment: genes for different traits usually willbe passed on separately from each other.
13. Gene Inheritance with humans! ee EE Ee
14. Gene Inheritance with humans!Can you rollyour tongue? RR or Rr rr