Why is it called the Caldecott?
• Randolph Caldecott was
an illustrator in England in
• The illustration on the
medal is taken from his
illustrations in the book The
Diverting Story of John
The Caldecott Medal
• Awarded each year to an illustrator for the best
children’s picture book
• Winners announced in January
• The illustrator must live in the United States
• Awarded by the American Library Association
The members of the committee read each book
and study the pictures. They talk about the
illustrations in the book.
– Are they interesting?
– Do they stand out from other picture books?
– Are illustrations colorful and eye catching?
– Do illustrations help tell the story?
– Are the illustrations good for a child audience?
Over time, illustrations and
printing have changed.
• The illustrators that create the Caldecott
books use many different mediums
• Some illustrators use paint, pencils, paper
cutting, woodcuts or even computers.
Be sure to explore these books
and more Caldecott Medal
books in our library!
• Book Cover Images
– Bound to Stay Bound
– Follett Title Peek http://books.usd497.org
• Caldecott Image
• Infographic from 100 Scope Notes
• Medals and Information from ALA