View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Citation Managers: which one for you?
What is Mendeley
Mendeley is a free reference manager and
academic social network that can help you
organize your research, collaborate with others
online, and discover the latest research.
However, Mendeley was purchased by Elsevier
during 2013. At present the software remains
free to users.
Indexing your pdfs with
(N.B. You will be asked to respond to this screen every time you change your LAN password)
Moving to a New Computer
Once you have registered as a Mendeley user
this is easy – download the software and log in
to your existing account
Creating your library
• You can add PDFs by clicking the Add Files
button on the far left toolbar
• Alternatively, you can drag and drop PDFs into
the content pane
• If you want to have access to your PDFs from
anywhere, activate the file synchronization
feature, and you are able to access your PDF
files in your Mendeley Web Library
Reviewing document details
This is an important task as Mendeley does not always get it right- you want
your bibliography to be perfect, so take the time to review the details of
each pdf you add to you library.
Click on Tools, Options, Watched Folders
Tick the folders you want Mendeley to watch. Any new PDF’s in these
folders will be imported into your library into Mendeley automatically.
• When you place a document in a watched
folder, it will automatically be added to
• You will be able to annotate, cite and browse
• Using watched folders makes it easier to add
multiple papers in one go and keep them
where you want on your computer
One-click Web Importer
allows you to import papers, web pages and other documents into your library from search
engines and academic databases.
Import/export Endnote, Bibtex and Ris
Insert citations in your articles
• Install the Word or Open Office plug-in (This will install tool bar
buttons that will allow you to cite a document and generate a bibliography)
• Click Insert Citation within your document
• Select the document in Mendeley Desktop, and click Send
Citation to Word. You can also cite multiple documents. Just
hold the Ctrl key (or the Cmd key on Mac) and left click the
documents you want to cite
• Select the citation style in the drop down menu in your word
• Generate a bibliography by clicking Insert Bibliography
Citing a document from within your
From the Mendeley citation toolbar you can automatically insert formatted citations or
generate a bibliography for your paper
Installing additional citation styles
Click on Adding new citation styles to Mendeley Desktop, and then the word “here”
A repository of currently available styles can also be found here.
Sharing documents and references
• Groups are a simple way for you to collaborate
with your colleagues and share a collection of
• Any member of a group may upload
documents to it.
• You can create a group by clicking on “Create
Group” in the left hand pane.
Types of groups
• Private groups – These are invite-only groups
whose content will only be visible to members
of the group. ( great for private research
• Public Invite-only Groups - These groups are
visible to anyone, but only members can
contribute to them (great for public reading
• Public Open Groups - These are groups
anyone may join and contribute to. They are
designed for open discussion around any
• Automatically generate bibliographies
• Collaborate easily with other researchers online
• Easily import papers from other research
• Find relevant papers based on what you’re
• Access your papers from anywhere online
• Read papers on the go, with our new iPhone app
Mendeley Support & Help