1. Google Plus Vs Facebook:
Who Will Win This Social
• Evolution/Timelines of Social Media
Google’s Social Networking Initiatives
• What went wrong
• Why g+?
Launch of g+
• Initial Reaction
• Feature Comparison with FB
Google vs FB
3. The History of Social Networking
1978 : First
board System) was
phone lines 1979-80: USENET
Online BB was
1994: First Social
Networking Site – Geocities
gave users to
online experience .
Posted a record IPO -
$850m. Fell to $4m in
4. The History of Social Networking
2002: Launch of
Friendster – first real
time social networking
site – 3 M users in 3
months 2003:Myspace is
launched. First version
was coded in 10 days!!
2003-04 Many More – Tribe,
LinkedIn, Classmates, Netlog etc
2004: Facebook was
launched – Initially as a
way to connect US college
students @ Havard.
Orkut was launched in
5. The History of Social Networking
2006 :Twitter – as
micro blogging sites
overtook Myspace 2009 : Google wave –
was closed in 2010
2010: Goggle Buzz
(closed in 2011)
6. What wrong with Google’s offering?
Google was never a leader in the social networking offering.
• tried to buy Friendster in 2003;
• launched Orkut in 2004, a social network that gained some traction overseas, but none at home;
• acquired Dodgeball (which became Google Latitude) in 2005, a location-based network for mobile
devices, much like the more successful Foursquare.
• In 2005, Google launched Gmail and chat, with a number of social network applications that have
mostly gone unused;
• acquired Jaiku in 2007, a site much like Twitter;
• launched Open Social in 2007, an attempt to tie numerous social networks and connections together
and list goes on..
Facebook attacked the weakest point of Google. Google unfortunately has not
been able to catch on social network due to two inherent weaknesses:
• Google is still perceived as search engine company (perception problem)
• It still relies on a bot to get its result( no human interaction).
7. Reaction on Launch of g+
9. Reaction on Launch of g+
10. Reaction on Launch of g+
Bill Gross, CEO of technology incubator Idealab, has predicted — on his Google+
page, no less — that Google will go from 1 to 100 million users "faster than any other
service in history." His reasoning: "The service is great. It is timely. People are engaging
with it like crazy," – July 11, 2011
Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry reported that Google+ has as
many as 3.5 million sign-ups and is off to a "very strong start.” within days of launch –
July 14, 2011.
All the things Facebook can do, Google+ can do, and more. For instance, Google Sparks is
a simple way to share recommendations… while Google hangout is a place you can video
chat with numerous friends at once. Google+ is far from a finished product ….. This could
prove to be Facebook’s first real challenge. With that in mind – don’t be surprised if we see
the Facebook IPO sooner rather than later, as the company may want to get its payday
before Google+ can build too much steam - Ryan Cole Investment U Research
Analyst, Monday, July 4th, 2011.
11. Feature Comparison
12. Feature Comparison
An overarching architecture that ties
everything Google provides together.
Whether you are talking about contacts on
Gmail, partners you work with on Google
Docs, youtube, recommendations from
Google Buzz… it’s central Better
privacy?? Everything in one place.
13. Why g+?
14. Why this kolavari?
Survival of the fittest
• Google has failed thrice in its
attempt to kill Facebook and failed
• Facebook rising revenue is concern
Facebook – a paradigm shift
• Google believes that this is the future
of search. Others believe it’s the End
• Social media – Data which you trust
is of your relevance.
Google reached a 1.25 billion
unique visitors worldwide ,
while Facebook rang in at 85
15. Why this kolavari?
16. Financial Comparison
17. Financial Comparison
18. Its not just about social platform ..
Facebook vs. Google: The
battle for the future of the
19. Paradigm Shift
Larry Page, Google's co-founder was born just 11 years
before Mark Zuckerberg, his counterpart at Facebook, the
two belong to different Internet generations with different
In Page's web, everything starts with a search. But in
recent years the web has tilted gradually toward
Zuckerberg's world. There, rather than search for a news
article, you wait for your friends to tell you what to read.
They tell you what movies they enjoyed, what brands they
like, and where to eat sushi.
20. Conclusion ..
No one could ever displace office.
No one could beat Amazon in e-retail sales.
Google remains number on Search Engine leadership.
Facebook is here to stay and change the way world
has used internet till date ..
Until next disruptive and innovative changes ..