The Place of
What is Grammar?
• Grammar in General, grammar is sometimes
defined as ‘the way words are put together to make
• Grammatical Structure is patterns to make a correct
sentences. Every language has different
• Grammatical meaning, grammar does not only
affect the form of the sentence but also must have
a precise meaning.
The Place of Grammatical Teaching
Comments : the place of grammatical teaching
• Extract 1 -> Grammar not taught directly, but
indirectly with oral teaching like mother tongue.
• Extract 2 -> The teacher help their students to
study grammar by providing and practice in the
• Extract 3 -> Learning grammar does not help in
a real conversation.
• Extract 4 -> Don’t too focused to learn grammar
because not all students are interested if only to
learn about grammar.
• Unit of language -> smaller units of language are
sentence, clause, phrase, word, morpheme.
• Parts of the sentence -> the most common part of
sentence are subject, verb and object.
• Part of speech -> part of speech are
nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, auxilia
ry verbs, modal verbs, determiners, and
Presenting and explaining grammar
Stage 1 -> presentation
Stage 2 -> check and re-check our explanation
Stage 3 -> feedback with discuss with our students
Stage 4 -> Make guideline
Stage 5 -> Compare our guideline with other
• Stage 6 -> Using another guideline.
Grammar Practice Activities
Type of grammar practice: form accuracy to in
• Controlled drills
• Meaningful drills
• Guided, meaningful practice
• (structure-based) free sentence composition
• (structure-based) discourse composition
• Free discourse
• Terminology -> errors ( which are consistent and
based on a mis-learned generalization) and
mistakes (occasional inconsistent slips).
• What is a mistake? -> mistake is something sounds
or looks ‘wrong’.